Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Help...96 Plymouth Voyager with a CEL ON for a Multiple Cylinder Misfire

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 10:01 AM
blaznblue
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help...96 Plymouth Voyager with a CEL ON for a Multiple Cylinder Misfire

Help

I have a 1996 Plymouth Voyager with a 3.0 liter engine. Last year I pulled the engine and had it rebuilt from the headers down only (car got stuck in some water 1ft front end angled stopping about midway in the car...think I pulled water back into the engine through exhaust, but threw a main bearing. I reinstalled the engine and as soon I as I was done I needed to replace the front O2 sensor (because new engine and easy to access) and the crank sensor because it had been damaged when removing the engine.

So I had the vehicle running and had driven it for 40-45 miles (van ran rough) when the CEL came on for a multiple cylinder misfire. This would happen every time I reset the codes. It would be fine, but then about 40 miles into a new reset the code would come back on (usually on decel at highway speeds, but not always) So I replaced the fuel filter 3 times in about three months just incase water got in the tank or line (really for sh--s and giggles). Nothing. Then I tested the fuel preassure and it was within spec and held the preassure.

Nothing worked, the light always came back on. I also once or twice would get a cylinder five misfire, but really only once or twice. So I replaced the bank 1,3,5 with new injectors (incase water was pulled into the line and bent the solenoids needle), o-rings, and intake gaskets. I also changed the plugs, wires, had injectors cleaned with arason injector cleaner, and pvc valve replaced.Nothing worked. I also took the evap canister under the car and air dried it out incase water was being pulled from the canister during its emissions regulation and management by the computer.

Nothing worked. I am ats my wits end. I want to fix this problem.

P.S. I know that the flywheel is mounted on the engine correctly

Has anyone encountered a similar problem. Please help...

Please help me....

Old 06-27-2006, 10:17 AM
99Sport33L
Rookie
Default RE: Help...96 Plymouth Voyager with a CEL ON for a Multiple Cylinder Misfire

How about changing the distributor?

Old 06-27-2006, 10:26 AM
blaznblue
Default RE: Help...96 Plymouth Voyager with a CEL ON for a Multiple Cylinder Misfire

Already replaced plugs, wires, cap and rotor. I don't think it is the distributor. Usually when the 3.0 distributor fails the whole unit doesn't work and consistently. My works and then 40 miles or so pops up a DTC. Its getting a signal from the crank and the cam sensor.

Something elso I noticed...I dont know if it is the battery low (most likely not) or the ecm (after 50 good strarts with out a code the ecm clears the check engine light), but the CEL is off now. I also have been keeping the tank at about half full only...

Has anyone heard getting a multiple cylinder misfire from the evap canister from overfilling the gas or leak or poor fuel tank gasket?

Old 06-27-2006, 05:14 PM
Donnie B
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 97 3.3.had same problem.was a bare wire shorting out against intake plenum on backside.was main hotwire to altenator.didn't affect charging system.motor ran rough & multi cylinder misfire codes were showing.had to push netting back on wiring harness to find it.taped bare wire,runs perfect & no codes.harness must have got damaged when i was rebuilding motor.

Old 07-03-2006, 08:38 PM
blaznblue

I will check that out. Upon initial inspection I didn't see anything, but i am going to remove the cowell and will have more room to view wiring. I hope I can get to it sometime this week. (hopefully its the problem). We will see, and thanks.

If anyone has any other suggestions your help would be appreciated.

Quick Reply: Help...96 Plymouth Voyager with a CEL ON for a Multiple Cylinder Misfire