Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

starter trouble

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 07:38 AM
sugarbabe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter trouble

I have a 2000 plymouth dodge voyager and some days the car starts right up and other days it could take 5 minutes. The guy at the gas station looked at the engine and saw some blue gook
all over the battery. Charged me over $100 to clean up. The car did start up for about 3 days with no problems. I had the battery replaced from Sears to avoid any future problems, however, it started again. Today I had to turn the car at least 30 times to start up and tonight when leaving from work it started right up....I'm in need of advice. Thanks

Old 07-12-2006, 08:25 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: starter trouble

Hmm.. well, this post doesn't really belong in this section, but, whatever.
I personally think you were ripped off over the cleaning of the battery. But, at least you went and got the battery replaced.
Seeing as the battery was just replaced, I would guess loose, corroded, or otherwise bad electical connections; a faulty starter relay; a faulty starter solenoid; or a faulty starter.
If you don't do your own vehicle work, take it to a shop with a good reputation.
I would verify the following in the following order (or, have the mechanic verify the following in the following order):
(1) Wiring in good condition (tight connections, not corroded, etc.) This includes the wiring going to the starter relay.
(2) Starter relay for proper operation. (New relays are like $10 at NAPA, or any auto parts store, just for the heck of it, go, pick one up, and, if you don't know where your relays are, they will probably be nice enough to show you, or you can look in your owners manual. Relays are typically really, really reliable. I actually wouldn't know if one would work sometimes-sometimes-not when they are going bad, I've never had one go bad [well, I've only been driving for a year and a half] and haven't talked to anyone where one went bad on them.)
Also, if you hear a "click" when you turn they key to start the van, but it does not start, that is the starter solenoid engaging. It is possible there is just a bad connection to the starter, or, that the solenoid needs to be replaced. (I am having that same problem with my truck right now, last week once it took 12 tries to start, for the last few days, its started right up every time).
Unfortunatly, the starter solenoid itself cannot be replaced, and the whole starter would have to be replaced, if that infact is the problem. The price for a starer is $140+ for your van.
Post back with results!

Old 09-03-2006, 09:16 PM
99GrCaravanSE
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: starter trouble

I think your starter/starter solendoid is bad. Depending on the position of the gear, it may click and rotate the engine to start. That is why sometime it starts and sometimes it won't.

I have two Caravans. The 91 Gd Caravan - replaced starter at 98,000 miles. The part (Starter and starter solenoid was an intergrated unit) was about $150. My 99 Gd Caravan, we are the original owner, lots of stop and go as the wife drive the kids to and from school. The starter/starter solendoid went bad at about 47,000 miles. The part was $160 and you have to get the right one because they have a square or oval connector. Kragen and many other parts stores have the wrong one. I finally chased on down after one day in Autozone.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: starter trouble