Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Power Steering Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 08:54 PM
hemi_man87
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Problem

I am a driver of (father's van) a 2003 grand caravan. Its got approx 130,000KM on it. At a stand still, when turning the wheel, there is a major vibration all through the dash..and I can feel its quite strong through the steering wheel. To my knowledge, i believe its done this since day 1 (however...never really looked into it) Also, most commonly after being on the highway for a bit (only a few minutes), there is a huge whine coming from the front end. Initially i thought it was the tranny, however the pitch of the whine changes when turning the wheel...leading me to believe its the power steering pump. I know the van is not leaking p/s fluid, though havent checked the fluid level as theres not really any other way for it to lose fluid. After shutting off the vehicle for 5 or 10min, let everything cool off somewhat, the whine is gone. Anybody have any suggestions on what this is? Again, there is no loss of fluid, and i never lose the power sttering. Thanks in advance

Old 07-15-2006, 01:42 AM
Goofy173
Rookie
Default RE: Power Steering Problem

Possibly you have 2 separate problems. I can only guess. The vibration at standstill sounds like binding somewhere. Has it been greased lately? I guess if it's done it a long time, it's not such a big deal, but if it was a new problem, I wouldn't drive it anymore until it was checked.

If you're lucky, the power steering system may have air in it. A possible fix would be to jack up both front wheels and turn the steering lock to lock several times to get the air out.

However, I put a rebuilt power steering pump in my 82 Merc. Capri and it whined up to the day I sold it.

Old 07-15-2006, 08:57 PM
jhtopilko

I have an 01 with a similar vibration. I haven't come up with a solution yet.

Old 09-15-2006, 04:09 PM
jandread

I just came from the dealership with the same problem and apparently there is a bulletin out on this issue. The dealership tells me the fix is to replace the PS return line with a longer one and that will help vibration. It has something to do with pressure in the line. They also tell me that it has a 70% success rate when changing, which tells me that it may not always be the problem. They quoted me $100CAD to replace the hose.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Problem