Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Poor Brakes - why ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 10:35 PM
99Sport33L
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor Brakes - why ?

I bought my Grand Caravan Sport with the stipulation that the dealer would fix the brakes or else I get a discount . Well, he tried fixing the brakes and it has worked well for awhile, but now it's going back to the same poor braking performance as when I initially tested it. When braking, the pedal would feel mushy and go all the way down until no more then there would be braking but some tires squeal. Sometimes I pump it then repump to get good action. I know from my previous Grand Caravan that the pedal action should be firm with good brake grip, and I'm not getting this.

Anyone know the reason why? What part is causing the problem? I have new brake pads, rotors, and probably one caliper. Is it an ABS problem and would this be costly to fix? Did anyone have this type of problem and it was fixed / what was fixed? Is it cheap brake fluid?

I really need some help on this one cause I'm in a temp job in KY when I actually live in Chicago, IL.

Old 09-07-2006, 10:47 AM
greaseangel
Professional
Default RE: Poor Brakes - why ?

I had the same thing happen when I had my brake pads replaced. I almost got in a wreck because of it. I took it back to my brake mechanic, and he double checked the brake pads, rotors, everything, and could find no problem. As the pads wore, it got better. I made him take me to the computer and show me what pads it said I needed, and then show me the box mine came in, so I would know he put the right ones on. I called a friend at the dealership, and told him exactly what was put on my van, and he even said they were the right ones. I have no idea if the new pads could be part of your problem, but it was mine. Just be very careful.

Old 09-07-2006, 07:00 PM
xmax1
Rookie

New pads/ shoes will feel a little soft until they burnish in. But if you're not getting pedal, it could be a wheel cylinder leak,or bad proportioning (sp) valve. I had that happen to my Dakota when I replaced the calipers after onw locked up on me. Luckily I was working for a Dodge Dealer as a tech when it happened. Are you loosing brake fluid (check the resivior)?

I do know that some of the caravans (such as 1990 Grand Caravan 3.3L) have different brake shoes and pads for different size wheels (14"or 15"). I also remember that some of these vans have different bores in the wheel cylinders (5/8" or 3/4"),which also have different shoes (for the rear).

If there was a fault in the ABS pump, you should still have pedal and the ABS light should be on (if I'm correct).

Old 09-07-2006, 11:25 PM
99Sport33L
Rookie

I'm not loosing brake fluid. What does a proportioning valve do? Maybe that is the problem. When I get full brakes sometimes there is wheel squeaking so maybe one wheel is getting too much brake power and the others aren't getting it?

I just hope the dealer didn't get cheap on me and use cheap brake pads, fluids, or a replacement caliper. I would have preferred a discounted buying price and have had the van fixed at a dealer instead.

Thanks for your replys.

How much would fixing a prtoportioning valve cost?

Old 09-08-2006, 07:57 PM
chopper
Veteran

It sounds to me like there's air in the system.How this happens by just changing pads is beyond me but it seems to happen.
you can bleed your own brakes by starting at the passenger side rear.Remove the wheel and find the bleeder fitting,it sould be at the top of the caliper and looks like a grease fitting.Use a piece of clear vinyl hose so you can see the fluid inside as it flows to a container where you catch the excess.Figure on using about a quart of Dot 3 or 4 brake fluid.Use a turkey baster to remove as much brake fluid as you can get out of the master cylinder and refill with new fluid.
Have a helper hold pressure on the brake pedal with the engine off.Loosen the bleed fitting and let the fluid run out until the pedal reaches the floor.Have them hold the pedal downuntil you get the bleed fitting tightened.Release the brake pedal,pump it a couple of times to get pressure and repeat until you get clear fluid coming out of the hose.This will also flush the old contaminated fluid out of the system.Do this at all wheels and you should have a solid pedal and good brakes.DO NOT LET THE MASTER CYLINDER RUN OUT OF FLUID OR YOU WILL BE VERY SORRY!!!!

Quick Reply: Poor Brakes - why ?