Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

cv joint boot grease

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 12:21 AM
dave.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cv joint boot grease

Hi everyone ! New here !

I own a 93 Plymouth Voyager 3.0 L , and I am just curious . One of my cv joint boots came off by mistake when I was doing other repairs . There was alot of grease that came out of the boot , and I am going to purchase some more grease . I am just not sure as to what type of grease I should use for the cv joint boot , and how much I should put in ? .

Also , the clamp around the boot that is used is a special type clamp that requires a special crimping tool . Can I just use a regular clamp that has the normal screwdriver screw on it , or do I have to use the crimp type clamps that are normally on the boot ?

Old 10-17-2006, 02:59 PM
chopper
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: cv joint boot grease

Look closely at that CV boot.If it cracked and wore out you can just replace the boot but it's more trouble than it's worth.I wouldn't try to patch it with a hose clamp.There is a great danger of the boot pulling free of the clamp.
I just replaced an entire CV shaft assy. and it cost sround $65 for the part at NAPA.The work itself isn't hard to do,just be sure you have a ball joint fork available to get the lower control arm off the spindle.After that it's a simple R+R operation.I would buy new parts NOT rebuilds.

Quick Reply: cv joint boot grease