Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2000 Caravan instrument panel

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 12:01 PM
CONDUCT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Caravan instrument panel

Hello-
I have a 2000 Caravan and recently ran into some very strange problems. When I started my van the other day the instrument panel quit working no speedometer reading, temp gauge, fuel gauge all stoped working they will jump when ignition switch is turned but that is it for them. Then the mileage and drive digital output will read about 10 seconds and then go black. The engine light stays lite all the time. Also noticed the rear window wiper, A/C and adjusting the output for fan controls does not work. I pulled the neg. on the battery in hoping to reset any problem in the system which did not work. It is soon heading over to a dodge dealership because local mechanic looked at the problem charged me $45 for 5 mins of work and said bring it to a dodge dealer he also added that the code coming up was an Communication error between the computer and instrument panel he did not get into great detail on it. I think I might of got taken on that deal. Has anyone ran across this problem before? Any input would be very helpful.
Thanks
Curtis

Old 11-01-2006, 04:37 PM
webbee
Professional
Default RE: 2000 Caravan instrument panel

Sounds like the broken solder joints on the dash PC board. A quick test is to rap several times on the dash top to see if the gauges come on. If they do then it is cracked solder joints. If the gauges don't come on I would still do the repair as it rules that part failure out and is so simple to do.
You will need a manual to help you remove the side panels and dash top. pentabob posted a well presented page on the fix. Don't let the disassembly worry you. It takes about 2 hours, start/finish, and is very simple even if you've never soldered before. Use a low wattage soldering iron, under 30 watts. When the solder melts, add a small amount of new rosin core solder to help with the flow. If you have a 3.3 the tranny indicator is in the way of easy removal of the gauge assembly. Go slow and easy and you will get it past and out.

The rear wiper, A/C, and fan output are a different problem and may be related to the BCM. The resistor may be bad in the fan circuit. The resistor is tested by putting the selector on high. If the motor runs on high, but not on any of the other selections, it is a bad resistor block. Sometimes fixing the gauges will fix the other stuff but not always. If re-soldering the pins doesn't fix it then you probably will have to replace/rebuild the BCM. Start another thread about the BCM if you still have the problem after doing the solder fix.

As always, good luck with your project!

Old 11-01-2006, 05:23 PM
CONDUCT

I will beat on the dash a little bit when I get home this evening. I would like to dig into the dash of the van because nothing has stopped me from looking into what could be wrong with anything. But the dealership said if I do not get it in the shop friday that they will not be able to get it in for another week or longer plus the wife will be upset which will postpone the van another week if I can't find the situation at hand.
Now as for the rear window wiper, A/C and adjusting the output for fan controls not working this all happen at the same time. It was not the instrument one week and the rest of the problem the next so it worries me that it could be a major problem with the BCM. But I will look into the van a little bit this evening and report any different findings.

Old 11-03-2006, 11:34 AM
CONDUCT

Well I beat on the dash the other night and nothing worked still. I also noticed that the interior lights did not come on when the doors are opened. So as I was driving the van to the dodge dealer last night the instrument panel and heating controls all started working again. Wow what the hell is going on? So as I adjusted the output of the vans heating and fan control everything died. Hum so I hit the passenger side of the heat controls and I hear a click sound and everything came back on. It all worked on the 20 mile trip to the dodge dealer when I got there I shut the van off and started it again and everything still worked. So I guess there must be some lose connection somewhere. But the interior lights still did not work and the engine light was still on though. So this will be a good one for the tech that is going to look at the van. I will be shocked if they find where the short/lose connection is located.

Old 11-04-2006, 12:15 PM
CONDUCT

So the dodge dealer ship took a look at the van. Everything is working now and they can't fix what is not working but they did say if it happend again they will replace the BCM which is the price of $260. Today though they are charing me $35 for looking at it.

Quick Reply: 2000 Caravan instrument panel