Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

96 Caravan 3.0 to 3.3 cradle swap?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 02:28 AM
Dieselbenzer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Caravan 3.0 to 3.3 cradle swap?

Great forum - wish I'd found it sooner! Hoping for some feedback here - two years after rebuild for same problem, tranny #3 (3 speed) now grinds away from a stop unless I really feather the gas; it also failed emissions for a "lazy 02 sensor @ bank 1" - I replaced the sensor, cleared the code, and it comes back instantly.

Not made of $$, I spotted an add for a good running/shifting 3.3/4-speed combo complete w/axles and all computers for $300. This is my last hope else the van gets junked or donated - can anyone share any experience with doing a complete swap like this - anything I should watch for?

Appreciate any advice here - thanks!

-- Brad

Old 01-02-2007, 09:51 PM
clean_sx
Record Breaker
Default RE: 96 Caravan 3.0 to 3.3 cradle swap?

i dont see a major problem, but the thing is that it may give you small problems that snowball into a big one. I doubt you will get lots of answers, as there isnt alot of traffic in this area of the forum. I will however say this the 3.3 is a more common engine among the caravans , and probably a better overall engine. as for the 4 speed automatic conversion to replace the 3 speed, i would think it would fit size wize, i mean, it is meant for that vehicle, but will everything match up properly? just think: "big problems are bad, but little problems can become big" , in other words, cover your bases. good luck

Old 01-02-2007, 10:21 PM
floorslayer1
Veteran

alot of swapping. different harness and I believe fuel pump and such is different too....., but yes will mount in with no problem using 3.3 mounts.

Old 01-03-2007, 12:18 AM
brandoncrone
Veteran

Its actually an easy swap. I installed a 3.0 and tranny out of a wrecked van in to a van that only had a 2.4L. You will need everything you have listed, the only accessory different btw the 3.0 and 3.3 is the ac compressor and lines (small potatoes). You will need the cat from the 3.3 as the mounting to the manifold is different. Axles are the same, you will need the complete wiring harness for the engine and trans, will plug right into the vehicles harness with no modification. You would also need the instrument cluster as the 3.3 has a digital readout for the gear position (and a tach!)

Quick Reply: 96 Caravan 3.0 to 3.3 cradle swap?