Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

ignition wiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 11:40 PM
cheese
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ignition wiring

I am installing a remote starter with keyless entry on my 1998 Caravan. I basically installed it. It locks and unlocks my doors and starts that car like it should. However, the heater does not function when it is remote started. But when I put the key in and turn to on then it starts blowing. The strange thing is that some accesories do work when remote started, like the radio. According to the manufacturer of the system, there is one accessory wire(black with white stripe) and 2 ignition wires ( a Blue and a Black with orange stripe). But when I test the Black with orange wire it test to be an accessory wire. If this is an accessory wire then I need to buy a relay module to wire the 2 wire into the system.

So, here is my question. Does anyone know if I am correct on thinking there is only one ignition wire and 2 accessory wires? If that is a second accessory wire, does that control the blower motor and can I just wire to that one and not the other since I can care less if the radio works when I am not even in the van or do I have to wire in both by using the relay?

Thanks for any help,
Matt

Old 01-03-2007, 12:14 AM
brandoncrone
Veteran
Default RE: ignition wiring

This is what I used to do, Yellow for start, blue for ign 1, black/orange for ign 2 and black/white for accessory. The basics work that you want while in remote start. I believe that the radio does not work in this setup. Never have had a problem.

Old 01-03-2007, 12:42 AM
cheese

Ok, well I have yellow for start, black and white as the accessory and blue for Ignition 1. You are saying that the Black and Orange is ignition 2? When I test it it acts like an accessory. When the key it turned to crank the engine there is no voltage. I will test it again. I guess it cant hurt to just try it anyway.

Old 01-03-2007, 01:10 AM
mazdab2600
Rookie

on mine(99 dc prostart from ctc) i had to install a relay for the 2nd ignition source
this link might help the other site i use is down
http://www.commandocaralarms.com/wir.../Dodge/Caravan

Old 01-03-2007, 02:19 AM
cheese

Thats the chart I used to wire things up. I have built in provisions for the second ignition so no relay needed. I was just worried that it really isnt an ignition wire since my tests failed. I will check it out tomorrow.

Thanks

Old 01-04-2007, 12:58 AM
brandoncrone
Veteran

Its a second accessory wire that can be connected to the ign 2 of the remote start.

Quick Reply: ignition wiring