Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

98 Caravan Starts & dies 5 times then nothing

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 11:11 AM
katie123
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Caravan Starts & dies 5 times then nothing

I've seen a few other owners have a similar problem. This is very intermittant. happens every one or two months but recently happens more often. The engine will start run for 3 seconds and die. I can restart but same thing happens.After about 5 times dash lights fuel gauge and all gauges wornt register and get absolutely nothing when turning the key. Has anyone found a solution yet? I know we are all a little frustrated.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:08 AM
pmarr617
Default RE: 98 Caravan Starts & dies 5 times then nothing

Katie, I ran into this last year with my 98 ES caravan, same exact symptoms.

Try pounding on the dash above the gauges to see if that'll get it going, worked for us much of the time, though we had to hit it pretty hard.

Since the dealer had no clue and just wanted to charge me $$$ to replace parts that weren't broken, I troublshot it myself. Turned out to be the electronic gauge package, I got one from a junkyard for $80. Replaced it a year ago November and haven't had the problem since.

Hope that helps!

Pete

Old 03-15-2007, 01:58 PM
chopper
Veteran
Default RE: 98 Caravan Starts & dies 5 times then nothing

It could just as easily be a loose or corroded wire.When the guage cluster was replaced the wire was tightened and/or cleaned and the problem went away.
You might try removing everything and checking the wireing harness for loose or corroded connections before you get a used set of guages.

Quick Reply: 98 Caravan Starts & dies 5 times then nothing