Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 10:22 PM
Hemiblack07
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust

i have a torred red 2008 charger r/t. its got the spoiler. 20's. and the black leather. but i just dont feel like its loud enough. i want to just go straight pipe's but i heard it doesnt run right and decreases mpg. is this true? and if so should i go with flows?

Old 07-28-2009, 07:46 AM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you talking about taking both the muffler and reso off? I've never ran that way but I did run my Daytona without the resos for a while without any HP or MPG loss.

As you’re probably aware there are lots of choices and Flowmaster is defiantly one of them. What to do to the exhaust is really a subjective question, it all depends on what you personal like.

See if you can find a local LX group and check out their exhaust mods. There's nothing like hearing them up close and personal.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:46 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like Mango said, I am for trying to find a way to hear the exhaust to make sure you like a certain sound.

Another thing to look at is what is you budget? You can go as little as changing out the suitcase muffler with a couple of performance mufflers or go with an entire system. Price will also play into which mufflers you choose and how many chambers and if the muffler has any type of packing inside of it. Flowmasters will be cheap and loud where as something like Borla or Magnaflow will be alittle more pricey, but you will get a deeper throatyer sound with better performance.

As far as the resos go, if you do a lot of highway driving and the MDS is kicking in alot, the drone in the cab in BAD!!!! Yes they can be removed and yes it will sound great with out them as long as the MDS isn't one. The kit that I got from Magnaflow had a slighty larger reso in place of the stock. The drone is there, but not enough to make me want to pull my hair out. You could always drive your car in autostick mode and that would solve that problem though. I end up doing that sometimes.

Now, if your budget allows, you might want to look into headers as well. JBA makes a set that is a direct bolt on replacement without having to do any modifications to the car or the exhaust. I have these as well. With the headers and the exhasut that I have, at idle, it sounds like I have a mild cam installed...

Quick Reply: exhaust