Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Help me Sup Up My 08 Charger

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 02:53 AM
Doctorjay81
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me Sup Up My 08 Charger

Hey, just bought an 08 Charger. It's a base model, smaller V6, but I'd like to see if I could come up with ways make it better. If you have ideas to help with speed or mpg or any engine work please feel free to chime in ~ thanks

Old 07-12-2016, 08:07 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

What is your budget? Bolt ons will not significantly increase either versus the cost of buying them. Freeing up the intake and exhaust sometimes gives you a few HP. I would say a tuner is your best bet depending on availability. It's a small V6.

Old 07-13-2016, 12:05 AM
Doctorjay81

Originally Posted by jkeaton
What is your budget? Bolt ons will not significantly increase either versus the cost of buying them. Freeing up the intake and exhaust sometimes gives you a few HP. I would say a tuner is your best bet depending on availability. It's a small V6.
Modest budget. What should I do for exhaust? Straight pipe it, add dual exhaust?

Old 07-13-2016, 08:29 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

high flow converter and a performance muffler. Do not straight pipe it. Duals are your choice. That won't be cheap.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:31 AM
2therock
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Save Up For FI

I have personally seen much of this before-and-after stuff on the Dyno. Cosra Exhaust maybe 6HP, CAI, maybe 3HP. Dyno Tune maybe 15HP.
When Dyno Tuning MY TRUCK we did the before and after AIRAID CAI and it netted just 5HP for $100.00+. And that's under 7psi boost. This was on the 3rd pull so she was @ operating temps. On a 1st pull it may have netted 7-8HP.

MPG and HP gains are the two most lied about things on the planet. The auto accessory market is a billion dollar industry with no shame or remorse.

Save your money and enjoy the ride. Or save up and go with forced induction and net between 60 & 80HP for around 6k. Don't forget to add a dyno tune expense to the parts and installation.

Knowing the above fully well and what to expect, I still put a K&N drop in, 180°F t-stat, and a Corsa sport cat back on my 2013 R/T, and had it dyno tuned @Injected Engineering only to net 10HP & 10TQ on paper.
However, I am enjoying a better power band and shifting characteristics.

The power comes on sooner and more aggressively and the trans will bark 2nd or 3rd if I so desire when using auto-stick. The Corsa allows me to put granny or a date in the car and she still be able to hear my conversation at all times and the tuner did a good job letting me shift in normal mode without spilling the coffee.

Mess with the exhaust the wrong way and get the in-cabin dreaded drone or resonance to take away from a really solid and quiet riding platform.
You could of had a V8 -

On a light wallet your best bang for the buck would be a Dyno tune at a reputable shop using one of the mainstream Tuning platforms. Not the hand helds'. A good tuner will wring out any hidden or subdued power and tweak your shifting points, quick and firmness. Expect around $600.00.

G-Luck.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:42 AM
Doctorjay81

Originally Posted by 2therock
I have personally seen much of this before-and-after stuff on the Dyno. Cosra Exhaust maybe 6HP, CAI, maybe 3HP. Dyno Tune maybe 15HP.

MPG and HP gains are the two most lied about things on the planet. The auto accessory market is a billion dollar industry with no shame or remorse.

Save your money and enjoy the ride. Or save up and go with forced induction and net between 60 & 80HP for around 6k. Don't forget to add a dyno tune expense to the parts and installation.

Knowing the above fully well and what to expect, I still put a K&N drop in, 180°F t-stat, and a Corsa sport back

On a light wallet your best bang for the buck would be a Dyno tune at a reputable shop using one of the mainstream Tuning platforms. Not the hand helds'. A good tuner will wring out any hidden or subdued power and tweak your shifting points, quick and firmness. Expect around $600.00.

G-Luck.
Ha, I shoulda just got the V8! Hey, thanks for the suggestions. I am going to check out the DynonTune for the heck of it and probably get a bit more aggressive exhaust but your advice has helped a ton

Quick Reply: Help me Sup Up My 08 Charger