Dodge Classics Have a pre-muscle era car? How about an old pickup truck? Talk classic automobiles within.

1967 Dodge D100, 225 "Power Plant" Fuel Problem, halp! :)

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 05:01 PM
Zeronomous
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1967 Dodge D100, 225 "Power Plant" Fuel Problem, halp! :)

Hello everyone! Glad to be on the forums, just recently came into ownership of a 1967 Stepside D100 Truck. I am a huge fan of old Dodge, and it really was a wonderful find sitting inside a barn in Southern Alabama. The truck was a one owner vehicle, and sports 27000 original miles. The owner was a 85year old man, that took very good care of his vehicles, and it had been a farm vehicle for years. The truck has probably been sitting up about 15years give or take, since the owner had began refurbishing it with all original parts and rewiring it. It's still all original, and luckily, everything including even the original fan system still works great! His son had began to refurb it some years ago, and installed a aftermarket pioneer sound system, but otherwise was kept all original. The paint's in good shape, original and still shines but does have some surface rust in spots for its age, and the interiors great. Maroon with matching maroon and white interior, and I would love to get it back to running condition. After getting it home, and re-fluiding the entire vehicle, I attempted to turn it over with a new battery. Turned over just fine and even began to crank a few times spraying some starter fluid into the one barrel carb, but it was then I noticed the gas was not getting sucked through the fuel lines on it to the carb. After noticing this, I began replacing and working on the fuel lines. The truck has about 5feet of hardline ran for the gas, which in turn, comes up to underneath the hood from the backseat. There it feed's into the Fuel pump, and on to the filter which sits on top, and into the carb. As of now, I have replaced the original metal line completely for the most part, with heavy rubber tubing, and checking it all the way up until the fuel pump to ensure it was easy to pull gas from the tank. I did go ahead and replace the fuel pump (why not lol), sliding the lip into the block and bolting the two 1/2 bolts back into it. Afterward, I've replaced the metal line leading off from the fuel pump to the fuel filter on top, and replaced the fuel filter. I have not at this point drained and boiled or lined the original gas tank however, and am hoping to do so tommorrow. Here is the problem I'm having with it. The fuel line's I have replaced are new and clean, and require very little suction to pull fuel from the gas tank. The fuel pump is new, and the filter. I cannot get the engine to actually pull gas from the gas tank however, and it's boggled me. I can get it to nearly crank with pouring small amounts of gas into the carb, but it simply will not create suction and pull the fuel from the tank. After looking around online, i found a few possible problems it could be, but unsure of which. One mentioned the float inside the carb could be stuck, and not allowing it to pull the fuel through the line. I also noticed the carb seemed to be sucking a lot of air, and it was leaking around the bottom gasket and middle gasket a tad when I poured fuel in. I guess my question being, on this engine is the carb what creates suction on the fuel line, and if it's leaking fluid and possible air, could that be the problem? Also I didn't notice and electronic components or cables that connected to the fuel pump to generate power, but I am unsure if this model even had a electric fuel pump. I did remove the gas float housing from the top of the tank to inspect, suspecting to find a fuel sending unit, but instead it's only the top mount electric hookup for the fuel guage (assuming), and the floater with no sending unit. If anyones familiar with these models, I'd love some help with it. It has me stumped, and I'm sure it's probably a simple fix. Another place mentioned it could be fuse related as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 05-02-2011, 04:45 PM
Zeronomous

Quick little bump*

Old 08-05-2011, 01:35 PM
wb7ptr

NICE truck. I'm jealous. Another fan of OLD DODGE here

Old 01-27-2015, 07:04 PM
me435
Default fuel problems

your carb doesn't suck fuel, your fuel pump fills the bowl, and your needle and seat keeps it from over fill. my 64 had a clog in the fuel pickup rod in the tank which had a sock on origanally. changed the rod and tank, fine

Quick Reply: 1967 Dodge D100, 225 "Power Plant" Fuel Problem, halp! :)