Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel
View Poll Results: A poll
No Experience
66.67%
Ive used it in my Cummins
29.73%
Ive used it in something other than my Cummins
3.60%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Question about Biodiesel

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 12:36 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Question about Biodiesel

Yeah, I just filled up with B20 and now they are charging the same for B20 as D2. I think they have realized they can charge whatever they want for it and people will still buy it.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:13 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

The greedy bastards.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:32 PM
hiperf2007
Rookie

I skipped down to the bottom when I read the post about Dodge voiding your warranty if you use biodiesel. The truth is all diesel has a mix of 5% biodiesel. The dodge diesel manual my truck came with said you are not suppose to use more than 5% biodiesel, which is plan diesel. I honestly use biodiesel in my engine during the summer when it's in the pumps. Never had a problem with it, but I do run a little additive with it. It makes sure my tank, injectors and pump say clean. I think I have power pro-plus.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:42 PM
hiperf2007
Rookie

For all the people running the vegetable oil for diesels, what kind of vegetable oil are you using and from what companies? Are you using it straight or are you mixing those "special mixtures". I believe at one time I heard 20 gals veg oil, 5 gal kerosen, 1 gal unlead gas, and normal diesel treatment. I heard nothing more about it.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:49 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

ORIGINAL: hiperf2007

For all the people running the vegetable oil for diesels, what kind of vegetable oil are you using and from what companies? Are you using it straight or are you mixing those "special mixtures". I believe at one time I heard 20 gals veg oil, 5 gal kerosen, 1 gal unlead gas, and normal diesel treatment. I heard nothing more about it.
I just use straight waste vegetable oil and pump mix.

Old 02-23-2008, 12:53 PM
hiperf2007
Rookie

you don't mix anything else with it to thin it down? How long have you been running it. What concerns me with the whole idea is its new. Nobody has done millions of dollars testing it and with these diesels running up to 500,000 or more, how long could you get the motors to run. What if there is a problem developing nobody can see and these motors start going bad after 100,000 miles because of it.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:33 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

Nothing else with it. What would happen? It gets burned and then exhaust. not like a gasser where a explosion happens with a spark.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:19 AM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

I've been running B20 since September of 2007 with no problems.

I find it funny that a lot of people think this stuff has some magic property that is going to kill your truck, but they have no problems running 3 different kinds of additives with regular diesel and mix it with kerosene and unleaded gas. Let Dodge find unleade fuel or kerosene in your fuel lines and see how fast they void your warranty. Theywill void your warranty for additives too.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:54 PM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

ORIGINAL: hiperf2007

you don't mix anything else with it to thin it down? How long have you been running it. What concerns me with the whole idea is its new. Nobody has done millions of dollars testing it and with these diesels running up to 500,000 or more, how long could you get the motors to run. What if there is a problem developing nobody can see and these motors start going bad after 100,000 miles because of it.

during WWII, our guys in Europe used ANYTHING that would pour down into the fuel tank for the diesel powered equipment..tanks, trucks, etc...

they used VODKA and other liquors too.

"The history of the diesel engine begins in Germany with the invention of the engine by Rudolph Diesel. Rudolph Diesel ran his engine at the 1900 World's Fair on pure peanut oil.
His intention in his engine design was to make an engine that could be run cheaper by using vegetable oil instead of the new petroleum oil being used for cars. It would also enable farmers to produce their own “fuel” from their crops for their machinery. However, the rapidly growing petroleum industry quickly made their version which was cheaper and would remain so for decades. Today however, fuel costs are obviously much higher and thus Mr. Diesel's original intent for his engine design can finally be realized by the masses.
Rudolph Diesel began to notice the need early on for thinning the "fuel" before it entered the engine. What he did NOT understand yet was the knowledge we have gained over the hundred years since his invention. We now know about the need to maintain cetane levels, keep the fuel thin, add detergents to keep injectors clean, add demulsifiers to help separate the water in the fuel, etc. "

Old 03-08-2008, 08:51 PM
e36m3e
Amateur

I'm new here guys...love the place. Hi.

I just found a local source for B20 and B99.9 but their prices are quite a bit higher than pump fuel...$4.25 for B20 and $4.66 for 99.9.

there are tons of threads on here where people have been adding products to their ULSD pump fuel and getting quieter running engines (better lubricity) and myabe a slight increase in economy. there was a study posted on the dieselplace.com website that sited Biodiesel mixed 50:1 (basically B2) had the best lubricity properties of any of the other products. so my question would be why wouldn't everybody use biodiesel to mix with their pump fuel for lubricity enhancement instead of PSD? it's relatively inexpensive costing effectively 9 cents per gallon more than the pump fuel if you put in 87 ounces for a 34 gallon tank...or just add 2.56 ounces of biodiesel per gallon of pump fuel you put in. the lubricity enhancement kicks the snot out of PSD and MMO and 2 stroke oil too. it's a little more expensive than some of the other products but it seems that benefits out weigh the cost by a little.

am I missing something here? is there any reason to add the other 6 gallons of BD to get B20? unless there is a marked increase in economy, on the order of 4-6 cents per mile maybe, I can't see the reasoning to pay for that.

E

Quick Reply: Question about Biodiesel