Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Thinking about diesel

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 08:39 PM
Rojhan
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about diesel

Now that the kids are gone and we don't have as many dogs, our travel trailer is a bit big and we are thinking about getting a camper instead. It's smaller and lighter and should be a lot easier to maneuver around, especially getting into our driveway on a small street.

Now, even though we are looking at a camper for "smaller" we'd like at least *some* room, so are looking at a camper with a slide-out. Additionally, the QC/SB makes a small camper even smaller. And, even though the campers are "lighter", they are also entirely payload, and my 2500 doesn't have the grunt to carry that much weight.

I'm looking at getting a long-bed maybe/not QC (QC, long-bed won't fit in my garage) 3500. It looks like Hemis are rare/non-existent for a 3500 which leaves diesel.

With the horridly long introduction out of the way, I've never owned a diesel. Other than "it's not gasoline", and "diesel has some issues with cold weather", I really don't know anything about diesel and diesel engines.

So... What should I know about diesel before I get too serious into looking at one?

Thanks!

Old 03-15-2009, 09:00 PM
Joel_MD
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I guess you're not new to DodgeForum but welcome to the Cummins Turbo Diesel (CTD) forum. Here are some points to consider:

Cold weather no longer presents a problem with modern diesels. Years ago it was difficult to start a diesel in the cold. Nowadays we have better injection systems and intake grid heaters to help with cold weather starts. However, it still helps to plug in the block heater on cold nights for a faster warmup.

You can get a Ram 3500 with a Hemi, but generally you'll find a CTD under the hood of most 3500s.

A 3500 with a CTD would be a great rig for hauling a camper.

A Ram with the CTD will probably give about a 25% increase in MPG when pulling a trailer or hauling something heavy like a camper.

Maintenance costs for the CTD are probably about the same as gas engines in my opinion. There are no spark plugs, but you will probably replace the fuel filter more often. As for oil changes, the sump holds 3x as much oil, but you can get by changing it less often than on a gas engine.

The CTD will last considerably longer. An average engine will go over 300,000 miles before an overhaul is needed.

If you do a lot of highway miles hauling anything you will love the CTD!

Quick Reply: Thinking about diesel