2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

Front end noises on intrepid do to old struts.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 02:07 AM
1971bcuda
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end noises on intrepid do to old struts.

We have a 2004 dodge intrepid with over 110,00 miles that would always make a noise when you got to the end of the driveway . Kinda like a "clunk" Turns out replacing all 4 struts put and end to that. The front ones weren't too bad but I had trouble getting one back one off. I had to beat the sh** out of the strut to get it out of the spindle. It looks like someone had flattened the end of the clench bolt with a hammer.
If I had seen that I could have grinded it flush.

Make sure you w-d 40 all the bolts and nuts prior to doing this.

Hope this helps someone out.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:24 AM
1971bcuda
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default inner tie rod end bushings

After replacing all 4 struts I took the car for an alignment. The mechanic showed me the movement on the inner tie rod ends at the rack.this is the second time for this. The inner tie rod end bushings on my 2004 intrepid are being replaced again. Kit from autozone was under $20.

I noticed when I took the bolts out the right one was nice and tight but the left was pretty loose. The car was just backed into on the passenger side and the wheel was hit. Maybe this caused it. We are fighting with the other insurance company to get our car fixed now.

Turns out I'm having a problem getting the one bolt back into the rack. I've switched bolts so I know both bolts work in the right side hole but now not sure what to do about other side. Seems like the left threads are not catching the bolt. I have done anything other then trying to start just by hand (no air tools)

Here's what I gonna try

try new bolt with perfect threads
try running a tap with same thread through
try running 1 larger tap through then using one larger bolt size
hope one of these will work.

Anyone had this problem.

Quick Reply: Front end noises on intrepid do to old struts.