1st Gen Intrepid 1993 through 1997 Intrepids

97 Dodge Intrepid-Fpump issues starts one day not the next

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 01:08 PM
jnbrown84.jb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 97 Dodge Intrepid-Fpump issues starts one day not the next

Hello,
I have a 1997 Dodge intrepid, 3.5, I have been having problems all winter. Here is whats going on. It will start one day then not the next, whenever it does not start I never hear the pump prime or whatever when the key is turned over, when i do hear it i know my car will start, now is the longest it has not started and still i do not hear the pump, i thought maybe electrical problems, one of the times i blew the Eng Contr relay the other times it just started back up, the fuse is fine now, and will not start. the day before (this time) I heard my pump wining louder and weaker, and i did kinda run the gas low, and yes it is cold out. Today 40f Will a pump go out like that? would it sound like that if someting was grounding out somewhere? Since my car was low was it sucking up some of the bullsnot from the bottom of the tank. Suggestions help please. I have spark, my car will run with starting fluid only and will not stay running.

the day before my pump was making noises, or that morning, i noticed my gas cap was off and hanging, and thought maybe someone had evil tendencies.

I have not replaced the pump or pump relay yet, I am a bout to unhook my fuel filter and check it out.

any suggestions or first try this would be appreciated, thanks.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:26 PM
mullyman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my son has a 1997 intrepid, same problems, just bought the car ran fine, 2 days after we bought it, it stalled, went that night to look at the car in the school lot, it started up, started to drive it it home and it stalled out! waited about 5 mins, and it started up and got it home. Next morning it wouldn't start. That eve we pushed it in to the garage and changed the inline fuel filter, and that was full of crap! started right up after that ran it for 3 miles and it was fine, next morning it wouldn't start, still wont start, pump is getting voltage when cranking over. I put a little starting fluid in it while cranking it over, still no start, Im new to this sight, I saw your post and was just was wondering how you mad out?

Quick Reply: 97 Dodge Intrepid-Fpump issues starts one day not the next