2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

2000 Dodge Intrepid Wont shift out of park (Break Lights not working)

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 11:25 PM
aptphilow
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Dodge Intrepid Wont shift out of park (Break Lights not working)

So like what the title say, I have a 2000 Dodge Intrepid and just the other day I parked it on the side of the road and the next day I was not able to shift it out of park. I did some light research and found out that it could be something with the interlock system. I had my friend check my break lights while I was repressing my breaks just to confirm the problem and sure enough my break lights were not coming on.

Right now my main concern is being able to move it out of the street into my drive way. It might snow where I am from so I need to move my car out of the tow away zone. I read that there should be a manual shifting release somewhere by my shifter but I can't seem to find it. Would you guys please help me with how to use this "manual release"? I would really appreciate it. This is my first time posting in this forum so I apologize if my post is a little vague.

Car type: 2000 Dodge Intrepid ES 2.7L

Old 02-23-2016, 07:19 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Check the brake switch adjustment and/or replace the switch.

Old 03-07-2016, 02:27 PM
aerofxr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope you've found the issue with the shifter by now. But I happen to have the console shifter cover off on my Intrepid so I went out to see how you could over-ride it. I had taken it off using a small allen wench (3/32nd possibly) and loosed the key in the forward lower part of the shift ****. You then can carefully unsnap the cover and lay it aside without having to disconnect the lighter wiring. The curved plastic piece that keeps the shifter in 'Park" position can be manipulated to release it. I had the cover off in order to prepare for the process of replacing the shifter cable. That task is discussed (thankfully) on other postings

Quick Reply: 2000 Dodge Intrepid Wont shift out of park (Break Lights not working)