Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

Should I sell it or keep it ? SE+ 2009/80 000km

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 02:23 PM
montoya13
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I sell it or keep it ? SE+ 2009/80 000km

Hi folks,

I need to hear your voices: Next November, my Journey SE Plus 2009 will be 5 years old, 85 000km and NO MORE WARRANTY

What would you guys do ?

1 - Keep it until it dies, and hope not to spend too much money on repair ?
OR
2 - Sell it while it still has some ''value'' ?

Until now I had the 2 or 3 recalls done, 1 starter change, 4 break pads changed 2 times (now I have ceramic pads with lifetime warranty). I also had a solenoid trouble that needed to be replaced (car wouldn't go over 50 km/h) and I had to replace a tie rod...

Thanks in advance, u can simply answer ''1'' or ''2'' if you're in a rush, it still will help !

Old 03-11-2013, 06:42 PM
greenmachineiijh
Amateur

To me that is a loaded question that requires more information.

The SE+ is a base four cylinder, correct? Value may be limited. (Sorry)
Is it paid off?
If paid off, do you want another car payment just for the "what-if"?
Have you had any other issues with it that makes you worried?
Do you like the car?
does it meet your needs?

For me, I have four children ages 4 to 12. I have a 2009 SXT with third-row seating. This vehicle has undergone a lot of abuse inside. My wife drives like an old woman and I drive medium to aggressive. I have performed routine maintenance and a couple of minor repairs on the vehicle. It has 75K on it and has been up and down the mountains and on long trips without any issues fully loaded with the family and camping equipment. It does the job I bought it for, my family. I paid too much for it with my bad credit but I am not anxious to get rid of it.

So you have to ask yourself, is this vehicle doing all the things you need? What is your motivation to trade or sell it besides a forum poll?

Old 03-12-2013, 09:53 AM
montoya13
Amateur

Thanks for your input greenmachineiijh
Yes it's the basic 2.4L. Value here is estimated +/- 10 000 CAD, I paid it 26 000 including taxes and options (7 seats, roof rails, Bluetooth, ''chip' keys).
It will be fully paid next november.

I didn't have other issues with the car itself, but I can tell you I had much trouble with the customer service for them to honor warranty...

I like the car but I'm just really worried about pieces starting to break here and there, I'm questioning the risk of having to spend regularly $500, $1000 or more in the coming 2 or 3 years.
I mean it's a DODGE ! We all know it's not the most reliable brand here, and with the troubles I already had and all the things I read from other owners, I'm concerned... I have to mention I'm no mechanic at all, so I have to bring it to the garage for almost everything...

Old 03-15-2013, 02:49 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Our 2009 is approaching 70k. Base SE model like yours. After the initial early failures of things like rotors (warped at 15k, replaced under warranty and warped again at 25k, I replaced them myself the second time with some good aftermarket rotors and have not had another brake issue since), the infamous window wiring recall, and crappy mileage (for a 4 cylinder) the car has been solid. I will definitely get rid of it when the time comes because you can get a the V6 Journey now that gets better mileage than the 4 thats in ours. I like the layout of the new Journeys, Dodge finally put some thought into it. Having the first year model of any vehicle, you find things that you say "hmm, they should do this or that when they redesign", from the looks of it, the new ones are light years ahead of the 2009 models.

Old 03-16-2013, 02:07 AM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya13

I like the car but I'm just really worried about pieces starting to break here and there, I'm questioning the risk of having to spend regularly $500, $1000 or more in the coming 2 or 3 years.
If you keep it, there is a risk of spending $500-$1000 every year. But if you get a new car, then it is a guarantee $500-$1000 every month. Yet, you still have to pay for Maintenance.

Lets get down to the number. Let say you are in such bad luck, and every problem you've seen on this forum happened to you within the next 5 year, how much would it really cost? compare to the cost of trading it in and buy a new car.

Just set aside an emergency fund on your budget, then you really shouldn't worry about the "risk". I've seen too many ppl who budget themselves to their last dime, when their car needs work, they couldn't do it, and the $300 problem becomes a $1,500 problem.

And if you are getting a new car, what's in your mind? Unless you get a Corolla or Civic, you really not going to see any drastic improvement in reliability compare to your journey.

Last edited by steak59; 03-16-2013 at 02:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Should I sell it or keep it ? SE+ 2009/80 000km