Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 09:59 AM
Makavilli84
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating

Yesterday, coolant begin to leak. It emptied the reservoir. Car overheated within a mile of driving. No problems prior this. Filled coolant tank with 50/50 antifreeze. Tried to drive but its overheating within a mile and this time it only lost a little coolant. Temperature dropped on dashboard to the lowest the check engine light came on. Our odometer reads done when checking codes. We just replaced the coolant tank a year ago. Would it need replaced again? What else could it be? I'm in Tucson and the weather is crazy right now 50s at night/morning and 90s during the day. If that makes a difference.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:01 PM
greenmachineiijh
Amateur

Well first it will be helpful to know what engine you have. Second, where do you see the coolant coming from?

Drive the car until it starts to get hot. Then pull over and look under the car to see SPECIFICALLY where the leak is at. Remember that leaks can be in a different location than they appear. fluids run down items and seem to come from other places.

Verify where the leak is coming from. The reservoir will empty when you have a coolant leak anywhere as it tries to keep the system full of fluid. I am very surprised the coolant reservoir had any issues at all or was the problem. Maybe the fittings to the reservoir are coming loose and not the actual reservoir having the issue?

I had the heater hose "Y" connector begin to leak. This piece is at the back of the engine between the engine and firewall. It was not easy to see the leak as it ran down the back of the hoses and onto other components before it became apparent the root cause. It was also difficult to get to. The dealer wanted around $200 for the piece because it is sold as a complete line kit from engine to rear heater. I got some hose and a "T" fitting from Autozone and made my own.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:33 PM
Makavilli84

We have a 3.5L V6. We have been trying to figure where the leak is coming from but we aren't having luck. It might be the hose that comes from the bottom of the coolant tank and runs to the front. I know little about cars so I'm trying my best.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:50 PM
Makavilli84

Just had someone look at it! Found out it was the o'ring....he says part is dirt cheap but labor will cost at least four hours to fix! Does this sound right?

Old 11-01-2012, 04:07 PM
greenmachineiijh
Amateur

Sorry, what O-ring? To or from what? Are you at the dealer or local mechanic?

Old 04-03-2014, 09:50 PM
GhostZero1987

where is the location of this o-ring cuz i am having the same problem cannot find leak and always gives my girl a problem when i am at work so i cannot see where it is used some bars stop leak and flushed the system but still has the burning smell after its been driving for a while but temp guage is reading fine unsure if i temporary fixed it or what? 2009 dodge journey sxt 3.5L V-6

Quick Reply: Overheating