Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

2009 Journey 2.4L - Intake Manifold Runner Control

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 09:50 PM
GregKennedy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Journey 2.4L - Intake Manifold Runner Control

My 2009 2.4L Journey SE has been running with the Check Engine light for a bit. Had the codes run at the parts store, don't remember the exact numbers, but something to do with the Intake Manifold Runner sensor stuck either OPEN or CLOSED. P2004, 2003, 2008 or 2017 if I remember right.

Finally had some time to pull the manifold off today for clean and inspect. The runners seem to move OK, maybe a little stiffness, but definitely not stuck in place. Going to spray it all down with carb cleaner and shine it up before reassemble. If it's not the runners, it's probably the IMRC unit, right? The control unit turns OK when using needlenose pliers and a light twist, so it seems like it should work to actually move the runners. That points to maybe the solenoid inside is good and the sensor is just stuck reading "always open" even when the runners are moving ok?

So my question is basically this:
* In your experience, is it likely to be the IMRC internal sensor, or some wiring issue (harness short)?
* Should I just go ahead and order new / replace the IMRC?
* I have a multimeter and the IMRC in hand. I can provide +5VDC from the wall too. Is there some troubleshooting steps I can follow to prove that this is having the issue?

One more for good measure...
* Can you open the IMRC and service the parts inside?

Please just someone tell me I'm on the right track : )

Old 09-20-2016, 10:36 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

My 09 had that code and they replaced the actuator under warranty. If the actuator didn't fix it they would have had to replace the entire intake manifold. It is not repairable. But you can try and see if it works.

Old 09-21-2016, 10:39 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

The intake is covered under powertrain warranty if you happen to still have it. The codes are from a feedback failure. That runner motor is weak sauce.

I have never tried to clean them, but the runners on those intakes can be taken apart. The labor I would charge is close to just replacing the whole thing, but no risk involved.

Quick Reply: 2009 Journey 2.4L - Intake Manifold Runner Control