Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

SXT vs RT?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 05:05 PM
chefboyrlee
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SXT vs RT?

please dont start this again...btw the S4 (V8) starts at around 50K. the HEMI has much more potential for HP increase at 5.7 liters vs the 4.2 S4. dont get me wrong i love the S4. just be wary of your statements please, we dont need a repeat of yesterday and i highly advise u not to knock the r/t. p.s. u have a private message in ur email.

Old 03-29-2005, 05:15 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am getting tired of monitoring the posts in this section...if need be, i will lock the use of the phrase S4...the arguing is to stop right now, before i have to lock more threads here....Keep in mind..i am watching who is starting this, and starting the flamming...stop it RIGHT NOW. if you have to argue, do so by means of PM.

Old 03-29-2005, 05:22 PM
Dodgegirl19
Lady Administrator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wasn't kidding in the other thread guys... I WILL ban people for starting trouble on my site. You've all been warned. Knock it off. Thank you.

~Amanda

Old 03-29-2005, 05:36 PM
MagnumSXT
Professional

I'm kinda curious why people on a Dodge site would recommend an Audi anyway. Aren't we all diehard Dodge guys here?

I love the SXT, fits my needs perfectly. If I were 15 years younger, or 15 years older, the RT would fit my needs perfectly. But for now, hauling the kids, outgrown street racing, etc... I just don't need the RT horsepower or insurance cost.

Old 03-29-2005, 05:46 PM
SteveS

I opted for the SXT over the RT, not because I could not afford it, but I felt it was a better value. Yes, the RT has gobs of power, yes, it handles more tightly, but I am getting roughly 23 mpg with the SXT on a 54 mile round trip commute that is a mix of highway and surface streets. On a recent trip to Charlotte, almost all highway, I clocked in at 28+ mpg with the cruise locked in at 75 mph. The Hemi will not give these kinds of numbers.

Each of the models have their merits. It is not fair to anyone on this forum to bash someone elses choices. My guess is we all bought the Magnum first on it's style, and then chose our power. As far as which is faster, my SXT goes just as fast as your Hemi at 80 MPH. You just get there a little faster, using more gas than I do.

Old 03-29-2005, 06:15 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when i had the base model magnum, i was very unhappy with the mileage...i thought the ride was very nice..the car was comfortable...the roominess fitted my needs at the time...but the 2.7 did the big car little justice...

Old 03-29-2005, 06:20 PM
MagnumSXT
Professional

Has there been anyone on here that owns an SE? Does anyone own them or are they all rental/corporate cars?

Old 03-29-2005, 06:28 PM
illy
Professional

Not going to bad mouth anyone elses choice in cars, but for me the RT was always the only option when considering this car. No, I don't intend on racing it but part of the cars appeal to me was that it could be so mean looking, so functional, so comfortable and STILL hold its own against other vehicles in my daily commute and the occasional safe and good natured stoplight adventure. This is my new office away from the office, my treat to myself for years of hard work. Now my 2 hour commute just got enjoyable and my Subaru WRX can serve as the pocket racer it was designed to be. I am sure either the SXT or the RT would make great cars depending on what you wanted out of them. If you like the looks and don't care about the power, you can save big bucks with the SXT. If you really want to get pressed against the seat and hear the roar of a truly incredible V8 engine, and have a few dollars saved, get the RT. There is nothing really to argue about, it all depends on what you want in a vehicle.

Old 03-29-2005, 07:37 PM
MagnumSXT
Professional

I agree with you. Each model suits different needs. One thing I would like to correct you on though is that the SXT has PLENTY of power. It sits you back in your seat quite nicely. It doesn't have the V8 growl, that's a bad thing, but the power IS there. It's got 100 more HP and about 130 PFT more than my old Taurus did. It moves quite handily in and out of traffic. I'd bet my paycheck that any power/speed advantage the RT has under normal driving is minimal at best. The RT does have a big advantage off the line, and for "the occasional good natured stoplight adventure" (I really like that wording), but I really just can't understand how the RT owners think that the SXT's are slugs. Maybe I'll start a poll to see how many RT owners have ever driven an SXT and vice versa.

Old 03-29-2005, 08:05 PM
thuffman03
Rookie

you are right that the SXT does move out quite well. I think that the 0-60 is in the 8 seconds. Not bad at all for a 4000+ pound car. Just like going from the SE to the SXT there are upgrades that are included in the that would be options that will cost you.

I first drove the SXT becasue they only had one RT and it was on the show room floor and they did not want to take it out. Would have had to move 3 cars to get it out. I did drive an SXT and liked it. I had no reason to get back into a car payment unless for a car that was faster than my Imp SS. Driving the RT then sold me. Had to have.

I think any of the LX based cars are a good value and will meet anyone's needs.