Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

2005 Hemi Magnum, 62k, Emergency Brake Shoes

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 08:39 AM
Thang111
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Hemi Magnum, 62k, Emergency Brake Shoes

2005 Hemi Magnum, 62k mi.
on 180 mi. round trip all of a sudden I heard a sound, rap, rap, rap, rap, etc. coming from rt. rear tire/axle area. Before I could pull over, after about 1/2 mile it stopped. Nothing to see on inspection. The sound changed frequency commensurate with speed.
Again with about 50 mi. from destination, accelerating on on ramp it started again, didn't last as long as first time and then didn't happen again on this trip.
Next couple of times however it came back for short times.
I googled but didn't really see anything duplicating the specific sound from back end of Magnum.
Decided to pull rotor etc. from rear rt. wheel. Discovered the emergency brake linings no longer attached to shoes but floating inside rotor which was the source of the rap, rap rap, etc. intermittent noise.
The linings aren't riveted but apparently glued on to the shoes. The left emergency brake linings were even more destroyed from floating around.
For $27 I replaced both emergency brake shoes. Tedious job getting the hub off and on the axles, need metric sockets #10, 15 and 18 and 1 1/4" socket for hub nut with a breaker bar.
Early symptoms was the rear end seeming to lock up when trying to back out of garage several times. Had to pull forward to release. Scared a more serious issue existed but relieved to find the problem was the emergency brakes.
Poor design
Good Luck

Quick Reply: 2005 Hemi Magnum, 62k, Emergency Brake Shoes