Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

97 Dodge Neon radiator fan not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 04:09 PM
DanP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Dodge Neon radiator fan not working

I have seen similar postings but not exactly my issue. I have a 1997 Neon with a SOHC engine. The radiator fan stopped working. I get an OBDII diagnostic code of P1491, which I have looked up and found refers to the fan relay system. I replaced the fan relay and the temperature sending unit to no avail. In frustration, I jumpered the wiring harness and hooked up a power relay with an inline fuse, to a switch to manually operate the fan from inside the car. This works well, but with new emission laws in Illinois it no longer allows my car to pass emission testing. I have seen there was a recall on Neons with similar problems and I took my car to the local Dodge dealer, but they insist that my car in not included in the recall and will not help me without charging me. Can anyone help me?

Old 10-19-2007, 11:40 PM
noenwarrior
Rookie
Default RE: 97 Dodge Neon radiator fan not working

did u replace the relay under the battery tray that is what the code is talking about.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:07 PM
RedSOHC

That's a fan relay control circuit problem. If it's a newer gen 1 (your 1997 is) it's a solid state relay way below the battery on the frame rail. I have had trouble with the wire going to it getting rubbed bare, corroding and breaking right inside the wiring loom that runs inboard of the battery. Learned after buying the $70+ relay and finding out that didn't fix it. Check your wiring first.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:49 PM
droppedneon

yep i have the same problem and still dont have a answer i would like to know to. i did the same thing i wired it to a switch but i cant pass emissions like this and so im still driven with no sticker its been like 3 months. i replaced the relay and no luck.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:01 AM
N30N
Record Breaker

yo man wheres the relay control circuit because my rear defrost keeps blowing any fuses and i put a freaking 3 in it and it still blew...details would be appriciated

Old 01-05-2010, 07:59 PM
Neoner

Which wire did you guys hook up to in order to bypass the relay and have a manual radiator fan switch in your car? I have a 1996 Dodge neon and tried splicing the blue wire that goes into the radiator fan but nothing happened.

Quick Reply: 97 Dodge Neon radiator fan not working