Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Common Dodge Neon Repairs and Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 05:37 PM
Robyn Linden
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough Idle

I know this question has been asked a thousand times before but I'm tired of looking for six year old answers.

I bought a 2001 neon for my daughter that has seen better days. One of the most recent problems it has presented is vibrating when the car is stopped...like at traffic lights. The longer the car stays idle the worse the vibration gets. I've had two of the motor mounts replaced and those didn't seem to make any difference on the vibration. I cleaned the IAC today and no difference.

Can someone start throwing some suggestions my way. I'm looking for DIY things first.

Thanks up front!

Old 05-22-2012, 12:25 PM
drice321
Exclamation 2004 sxt

Hey, I just bought a 2004 dodge neon sxt. When I first test drove it everything worked and sounded perfect. Well I've had the car for 2 days now... and the check engine light has already come on. And sometimes when I'm driving, if I let off the gas and get back on it, it starts to sputter. (that could be water in the gas tank). However if anyone knows if there could be anything MAJOR wrong with it.. please let me know!!!

Old 05-23-2012, 12:16 PM
drice321

thanks for nothing, I found out that it was the 02 sensor

Old 06-12-2012, 01:12 PM
LomzLaw

Good site thanks

Old 07-08-2012, 10:15 AM
Baby B's Mommy
Default Tool list

Stuck in the country with no one to help change the main belt on my 2003 Neon SXT. What tools am I going to need to do it myself? All I can find on here is gen 1

Old 08-01-2012, 04:30 PM
quickie822
Talking Close

Originally Posted by BlueThunder07
Hey, I have had a 2003 dodge neon sxt for about a month now. when i bought it everything was running fine. well a week ago. it started to shift wrong. i was scared that it was the transmission. well i looked under my hood and my front top motor mount was broke so i bought a new one and replaced it and it ran great. for twenty minutes, then i got under the car becuase there was a really bad rattling sound and sure enough my bottom motor mount was broke so i just fixed that yesterday. well its stilll doing it and when i stick on the E brake and stick it in drive there is a real weird rattling sound right next to my timing belt or what ever that belt is called. does anyone have an idea on what it might be...thank you

you were kinda on the right track but you only fixed the symptoms not the problem the 2 "mounts" you replaced actually held no weight they are there for torsional stability if you look where your timing cover is you will see a black object embedded into your frame it only takes four bolts to take out but you need to carefully lift the engine a little bit for clearance this is your actual weight bearing motor mount.the strut mounts went bad because they werent supposed to carry the weight they were carrying you might notice a vibration in your steering wheeel after you do this because you need to adjust the engine in the cradle to the right spec which is 119 mm away from a certain part i dont remember which one though. Hope this helps!

Old 10-02-2012, 03:56 PM
Josh Brown

Did you get an answer for this one? I'm having the same problem. There is a syncro kit in the trans, but i wanna make sure its that before i dig into it and dish out money for repairs

Old 10-02-2012, 03:59 PM
Josh Brown

Originally Posted by moparfan907
I have an '01 Neon manual trans that produces a grinding noise when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear and from 2nd to 1st. The grinding noises don't happen when I shift into or down from 3rd-5th. What is causing this? Is it the synchros (I'm assuming they are present)?

Before you ask, yes I know how to drive a stick. I started learning at 8 yrs old. 90% of the vehicles have driven have been manuals (all the ones I own ARE manuals)

Thoughts???
Did u find an answer for this one? Im having the same problem. Wanna make sure whats it is before dishin out money for repairs

Old 10-03-2012, 12:46 AM
chris_tina707
Smile P1775 on my 2005 Dodge Neon...is it worth fixing?

I just found out today about this code on my car. I spoke with my mechanic and after the sticker shock of how much it could cost me, I am wondering if its worth fixing? And then he tells me it all depends on where the solenoid is located in my car it could cost me more (due to time and labor). I am not a motor expert but definitely need advice from other neon owners. She's got 124k miles.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:46 PM
hitcher465
Default 2005 neon starter problem

2005 neon xst no crank problem. Very intermittent most prevalent in the morning and after sitting for a while. Can turn the key a dozen times with nothing happening and then all of a sudden it cranks over and starts right up runs no problem no check engine light. The things I've done trying to track down this problem i.e. jump starter at solenoid it cranks no problem does not change the problem with the key, this kind of indicates the starter is probably okay. If the ignition switch is on and engine is not turning over if I jump the starter solenoid it cranks over but will not start. Kind of indicating to me the same circuit that operates the starter also operating the fuel injection system. I have cleaned and re-crimped as many grounds that I could find in the engine compartment i.e. main negative battery to starter bolt from there to bottom of battery box. Ground from battery to fender well, both left and right grounds to the radiator support. Positive battery terminal to fuse box and also to starter. Of course both battery terminals themselves. Swapped out starter relay,checked fuses inside and out. Checked neutral safety switch, switching from part to neutral has no effect and the plug was clean and dry. Checked the harness directly above battery that has starter solenoid wire again the plug is clean and dry. Disassembled ignition switch cleaned and re-grease contacts again no joy. Of course the problem being so intermittent after doing a few things it will deside to start starting LOL
The harness on the backside of the engine feeding the alternator and oxygen sensor shows signs of some signs of heat damage from the exhaust system but I don't think that's where the problem is either. About the only thing I have not done is to pull the PCM and check the harnesses. Does anyone know where the PCM gets its ground from?
I have read as many of the comments I could find online and tried just about everything. And I see this is a common problem as far as the intermittent part people taking their cars in and having them check out the problem goes away for a while and comes back just the same. Sorry to be so long-winded just trying to be thorough thank you for any comments and please any help. The battery is new and has a good charge Thank you agian Jeff

Quick Reply: Common Dodge Neon Repairs and Problems