Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Help! Car shifts but won't go over 2500 Rpms

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 01:49 PM
American_Honey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Car shifts but won't go over 2500 Rpms

Hi, so just some background on the car. I have an automatic 2002 dodge neon sxt with around 170,000 miles (not totally sure on exact mileage had to replace that gauge cluster and mileage was reset). I put new plugs and wires in it, new struts and just yesterday put a new axle on the front passenger side. She's a little rusty but in pretty good shape for being a New York car.

Well yesterday we made an attempt to drive to Ny from Nc. We made it about 40 miles before we turned around. The car wouldn't rev over 2500 rpms and kept doing little sputters of 250rpms up and down probably about every 30 seconds. You can kinda feel the car jolt when it happens. The car will shift. We almost got back to where we were staying when it jumped from 2500 to 3000 rpms and dropped back to 2500 rpms. It has only gone above 2500 twice, even with the pedal to the floor the rpms won't go any higher.

We were told to check the exhaust and make sure the cat wasn't clogged which we did. It's completely fine, no oil coming out or anything. We checked the plugs also. We got a cam sensor which we are putting in now. But I am unsure if that is the actual issue.

Anyone have any input on what might be wrong here??

Old 07-08-2014, 03:27 PM
djbucky3
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Firstly im confused about how one replaces the "axle on the passenger side". Second, what exactly did you do to check for the clogged cat?

Quick Reply: Help! Car shifts but won't go over 2500 Rpms