Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

ran out of diesel

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 11:06 PM
breeves
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ran out of diesel

Now i know that a kubota isnt a cummins, but its the same principle, i guess. I was using the backhoe at work to plow out the dirveways, and i was running it for about half hour, 45 minutes and it suddenly stalled. I looked at the filter and it was a giant slushy. So i put a heater on the fliter and unslushied it and empited it out. Now i screwed the fliter back on without filling it up with diesel, which i think was my mistake. So i waited for the cup to fill back up with diesel, but couldnt get it to start, which is very frustrating. How could i get it started to finish plowing?
Thank You so much

Old 01-19-2009, 06:53 PM
Quig19
Rookie

Uneed to find the bleeder screw on the injection pump. back it out a few turns, If it has an electric fuel pump turn key on or if it has a mechanical pump pump it until the fuel comes out of the bleeder screw.... If it still does not start.... U need to break open all the injector lines and bleed them .... Once U see fuel coming out each injector line tighten them one by one.... If U see "slushy" in the filter housing U have water in the fuel and U won't b starting it until U get the water out

Old 02-03-2009, 08:51 AM
roadrunner58

The "slushy" you see could be the diesel fuel "gelling" It will look milky and jelly like. This will happen when the temp outside gets below 10 degrees. I use "911" in my pickup after filling it up. Also 911 works very fast unjelling. you should treat the fuel in the tractor as you may not use it too often in the winter. Some filters have a water drain on the bottom that should be opened time to time. Best thing is to keep the tank full so rust or condisate won't form in the tank.

Quick Reply: ran out of diesel