Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel
Old 08-05-2015, 07:54 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior
Print Wikipost

windshield wipers cutting in and out

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 08:26 PM
blackram05
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default windshield wipers cutting in and out

hey everyone, i have a 2005 dodge 3/4ton diesel and i have been having some issues with the windshield wipers not working some times, the first time it happened i went to check the fuse but by the time i turned the key on they were working again, they seem to be cutting in and out...im not sure if maybe someone out there has had this same problem and what are the things i could check first...maybe a relay not working properly??
thanks everyone

Old 01-11-2010, 10:44 PM
pizzo
All Star

I would say the relay is going or is bad. But lets get the basic stuff and questions out of the way. At any point in time has the truck been stolen or had the steering column worked on? wiper switch or turn signal arm replaced?
Possibly a loose wire connection at the bottom of the steering column.
But I start with the simple stuff first.
Fuse you already did that
relay is your next thing. You can buy them they are cheap few bucks I'm not into just changing out parts so find relay for the wipers and swap it with on that is the same KIND and type and see if it works correctly if so then replace the wiper relay. if not get back with us we can break it down a little more
Hope that helps Pizzo

Old 01-12-2010, 12:07 AM
blackram05

yea well i got my Edge with attitude chip sitting right on top of fuse box so i never did check the fuse but as they do work sometimes that must mean the fuse is still good. so i am assuming that the relay is on that same fuse box under the good on the drivers side??
no the truck has not been stolen. whenever the wipers stop working i wiggle the steering column up and down and flicker the switch but it does not respond. tomorrow i will check that relay and let u guys know.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:03 PM
pizzo
All Star

Yes they are under the hood. #8 fuse, #55 is the wiper park relay, #60 is the wiper High/low relay.
Fuse could be loose or broken. #55 If it won't park the wipers. meaning if they don't go down when you turn the switch off they will stop in the middle of the window. and relay #60 is the one makes the wipers work...
Check them all and see if something is wrong...
If you can't find anything replace them all with a different relay. that is in the fuse box.
If they still don't work it is a toss up between the switch and the wiper motor. I know if the truck was in front of me I would take and test the power to the Relay to make sure i am getting power to the relay and out of the relay to the motor.
If you have a test light and a paper clip. Turn Key ON Position. The holes where the relays go into and make contact, Straighten a paper clip out and stick a paper clip in one and see if you have power. use the paper clip makes it easier to get down in their.
One will be power all the time. One will be ground. witch it wont light up unless your testlight is hooked to the pos side of the battery.
one is the power from the switch so you need to turn the switch on high and it will have power and the other one is to the wiper motor...
once you have done all that and its good at that point and you have power where you need to then take the wiper motor and test there... if you need Help I can post some pictures and show you on my Truck what to do?

Or I can make a Video and post it on Youtube.
I hope that helps

Old 09-16-2012, 11:38 PM
Lizzybug
Default Wiper issues

I have an 08 Avenger. My wipers cut in and out frequently. Anyone else have this problem? Any solution?
Liz

Old 06-01-2014, 04:21 PM
Robert72
Angry Wiper problem

I have replaced the motor twice and the switch once. Problem seemed to be in the switch since the wiper would seem to come on only after switching it on a couple of times. After replacing the switch, the same problem still existed. I replaced the motor and it worked, for a while and the the same problem reappeared. Thinking possible defect in motor, I replace it again and once again the problem went away and has now reappeared. WTF is going on? One other problem I have is that might be associated with this is the blower motor inside the vehicle. That problem seemed/seems to be in the switch. The blower would not would not turn on from the off position. I replaced the motor and again the motor would not turn on from the off position. I tried repeatedly switching the switch from off to high repeatedly to no avail. Finally, after it came back on, I leave the switch in the low position and there have been no problems with switching it to medium or high and back to low but if I switch it off, it takes forever to get it to come back on. Given what's going on with the wiper, I think I'll hold off on replacing that.

Old 01-12-2017, 05:53 PM
Deonta Lowery

What about a 2007 magnum windshield wipes that goes in and out?

Quick Reply: windshield wipers cutting in and out