Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

2005 cummins will not stop!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 07:42 PM
Danstoybox
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 2005 cummins will not stop!

Ok. Well it does stop..but here's what's going on. The truck is a 2005 ram 2500 cummins auto trans, completely stock, I mean 100% bone stock, 125k miles, original front tires!i am the second owner, first owner was 50 yrs old and dealer maintained it, used as run around to different states as he was retired, worked it a lil.. Anyway it starts up fine, no smoke. Put it in gear and goes good then shifts to 2nd only when it's warm, trans has issues, I ordered new gov pressure solenoid and sensor. Now, aside from trans issue, the engine has odd clatter after warm up at higher revs, also the engine will not idle down when up around 2000-2800 rpms....it will fluctuate some from 2k and 3k all by itself.. The apps is on the pedal and has been reset. Drive by wire set up. No codes and no other things. The Fca was removed and it makes a little bitty noise when shakin. The oil level isn't high, no smoke at idle, no smoke when driving. Just seems like something is messin with throttle at higher rpm without touching pedal..so in essence it will not stop! Kinda dangerous to drive. No shop can figure it out. I am in las vegas Nevada..gambling like this sucks! Also I am a 12year diesel tech, 3yrs with cummins and this boggles me. I was thinking Fca or injector? Just had lift pump replaced and #1 injector line replaced. Pump was leaking at the tank, no broke inside. Some nasty debris in filter housing, cleaned but maybe smoked something before I got her...

Old 10-29-2012, 11:34 AM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like apps

resetting a bad apps usually doesn't help. when they go bad, they go bad.

You can always go post over on cumminsforum.com/forum and get more opinions from there..

Old 10-29-2012, 01:38 PM
Danstoybox
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Off to the stealer tomorrow....I threw my scanner on it and still nothing but I cannot read the voltage from the pedal. Figure Im in the truck $5500.00, so if I am out a grand..it's worth it. The truck books at 16500-21000.00 and I traded a hemi gas burner for it worth 5000! I appreciate the reply jigabop, much appreciated.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:32 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also suggest going over to cumminsforum.com/forum anyway and reading up on your truck...that forum has all the info you will ever need about your truck. its 100% dodge cummins on there, and they have sections broken up by generation unlike here where they slapped all the diesels together...

if it was not for that forum, my truck would not be the same truck that it is today...would probably have destroyed an injection pump already, and only had a total of 350hp...but because of that forum, I'm putting over 500hp to the ground of useable power....I can tow with that power and not worry about EGT's... also because of that forum my truck steers better than it ever would have with stock parts...been over there a few years now, and I still learn new things all the time!

Quick Reply: 2005 cummins will not stop!