Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Exhaust Kit for 5.9L Cummins

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 02:18 PM
Matthew L Ferguson
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Kit for 5.9L Cummins

I have a 2006 Ram Mega Cab 3500 w/ 5.9L Cummins - Stock
Looking at exhaust kits for it, any suggestions??
Also, want it to sound aggressive by not call the cops loud.
What do people think of the Banks Power parts??

Thanks
Matt

Old 11-06-2012, 03:23 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dont buy banks!!! over priced garbage.... you already have a 4'' pipe, so there is no real need for a complete system unless you want to go 5''... try having a local exhaust shop romove the muffler for you or find a "muffler delete pipe" online, with the converter still in there, its not a terriable sound, but for mine i removed the muffler and converter, and anstalled a large straight through 4'' muffler, great sound, not too loud, and free flow

Old 11-07-2012, 09:51 AM
Matthew L Ferguson
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is all of "Banks" Stuff over priced garage?? What about their Cold Air Intake or Intercooler??
Not sure about deleting the muffler, but like the idea of a free flow muffler.
Thanks.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:50 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

banks does not make good performance parts for the cummins... banks is better for duramax trucks.

then building stuff for cummins was an afterthought and more back burner type stuff... (as in its junk)

your stock intercooler is fine unless you plan on building past 600+hp then you might consider changing it.

cold air intake is not going to do squat for you. get a big honkin air filter. its cheaper and flows better.

your best enhancement for intake will be replacing the intake horn with an aftermarket intake horn, or even a stock second gen intake horn. (they are larger and flow almost 2x as much air volume)

as for sound, muffler delete

my truck has not had a muffler since day 1, and never been pulled over for being too loud. diesels are not as loud as gasoline engines with no muffler, the turbocharger does act as a muffler and cuts a significant amount of sound. Your truck will sound more like a big rig without a muffler...gets even quieter when you have compound twins.

I run 5" straight pipe with compounds and my trucks exhaust is no louder than the engine (vp44 injected engines are quite a bit louder than your common rails at the engine) sounds about like what you would want I'm guessing. no drone in the cab, only loud when I floor it, but the S3 and S4 twins screaming are louder than the exhaust still.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Kit for 5.9L Cummins