Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

2000 3500 5.9 Auto Startiing Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 10:27 PM
Imaknucklebuster2
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 3500 5.9 Auto Starting Issue

I've noticed that from the time I turn on the ignition key until the time that I can actually start the engine has gotten longer. There is this sequence of lights on the instrument panel going off and a thump under the hood (something to do with ABS I think) and then the fuel pump pumping up, then the engine can be started. If I just turn on the key and try to start without all of this taking place it won't start. I've owned this truck since it was brand new and I've got 270k on it. I want to remember that up to about four years ago it would be ready to start a lot quicker after turning on the ignition key and it's just gotten longer over time. Don't know if something is wearing out or not, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by Imaknucklebuster2; 05-01-2015 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-02-2015, 07:33 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

You may have a grid heater going bad. Do an amp draw check of the heater. Maybe someone smarter than me can tell you how.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:24 PM
Imaknucklebuster2
Rookie

Thanks p38251. Even after having the diesel for so long I still don't know as much about them as I do gas engines. I assume you're talking about the air preheater? The heat up period doesn't seem to last any longer, the "wait to start" light seems to take about the same amount of time depending on outside temps. Once I jumped in and tried to start it before the sequence was finished and I was there about thirty minutes before it finally started. If I try to start before the fuel pump pumps up, it can be a real hassle getting it started. I've gotten use to the way it is but recently I was at a tire store where they take if from the front to the back so I had to warn the guy about the starting quirk, anyway he did what I told him and he didn't have any trouble. Also the inspection sticker guys have to be warned. I would like to get it fixed if I can and I like doing my own work to avoid the higher cost, but this one is definitely over my head.

Edit note: I just checked the cost of the preheater and it's not that bad, maybe worth changing it out, after 15 years it couldn't hurt.

Last edited by Imaknucklebuster2; 05-03-2015 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:08 AM
p38251
Record Breaker

Do a fuel pump bleed down test. If the check valve is bad, it has to fill all the lines again. A pressure gauge will tell you if that the case. Heater grids usually work or they don't. Sounds like it's ok. And if its warm it really doesn't need it.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:48 AM
Imaknucklebuster2
Rookie

Okay Thanks! That sounds like a good possibility, it makes sense that it wouldn't start because no fuel is present and it appears everything else is ready to go. I know after draining my fuel filter it's always hard to get started again. I'll check it out and let you know.

Quick Reply: 2000 3500 5.9 Auto Startiing Issue