Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

99 B1500 Conversion van questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 09:44 AM
AppleCountyHemi
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 99 B1500 Conversion van questions

Hi I am going to be looking at a 99 B1500 Sherrod conversion van. It has 74K miles, 5.2 V8 and 3spd auto. I do not know anything about full sized vans, we've been using minivans for the past 10 years. What issues do these vans have? What should I look at real closely? What about MPG's is at least 13 MPG combo possible? I talked to a mechanic friend of mine and he said in general he stays away from anything that old regardless of make due to electronics issues. Is this a fair conclusion?

Thanks

Old 10-20-2010, 10:59 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AppleCountyHemi
Hi I am going to be looking at a 99 B1500 Sherrod conversion van. It has 74K miles, 5.2 V8 and 3spd auto. I do not know anything about full sized vans, we've been using minivans for the past 10 years. What issues do these vans have? What should I look at real closely? What about MPG's is at least 13 MPG combo possible? I talked to a mechanic friend of mine and he said in general he stays away from anything that old regardless of make due to electronics issues. Is this a fair conclusion?
Thanks
Figure about 12.5ish for combo mileage with that engine tranny. Are you sure it is a three speed auto and not an overdrive unit? I think 97 was the last year for the three speed units. If it has overdrive then it should get 13 combo easily.

Finding parts for the Sherrod conversion will be harder but not impossible. Reason is all of the conversion company's have closed. Some here know of one place that has some parts available.

That van has the Magnum series engines which are very dependable and strong.

Electronics in older cars can require more repairs but most of the vans have simpler systems than in the newer cars of the last 5 years.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:02 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The conversion van site for OEM parts is www.cpcparts.com

The Magnum engines have been around for over a decade and are the final greatness of the muscle car engine greatness for the 5.2L/318 and the 5.9/360. Even the original Dodge Viper engine was based off of this family of engines.

The electronics isn't bad at all. Knowing how to do the key dance of off/on 3X for codes, one can easily stay atop of any issues.

Geno's garage has an excellent collection of TSBs, there are Chrysler Techs in the forums as well as engineers, and these vans have been around since 1971 and went through at least three generations plus 1/2.

As for mileage, from what I've managed to understand, a B1500 swb with a 5.2L/318 Magnum engine, the 46RE tranny with OD and the 3.55 rear end gears (all stock) gives you a good 18 or better hwy. If you swap out the clutch driven fan for an eFan this van configuration can reach 20 hwy or slightly better. Providing you are not a lead foot.

My B2500 shown in my sig below has now regained the 16 hwy. It has the HD suspension and 8-lug rims. All of the extra heavy duty weight keeps the van from doing better. I would love to find a B2500 8-passenger van with the 5.2L/318 with the 46RE, and the 5-lug rims. I'll just toss in the extra seat from my existing van to make it the 12-passenger.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:40 AM
Ristow
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you're in the rust belt look closely at the front and rear subframes. the uni-body RamVans like to rust out on the sub frames if not cared for. i briefly had a '99 that was real bad,could tear pieces off the subs' with my hand.

i finally bought a '98 in AR. was from TX. spotless underneath.

Quick Reply: 99 B1500 Conversion van questions