Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

93 b250 lack of acceleration when hot

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 09:44 AM
pauljr58
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 b250 lack of acceleration when hot

Hi, I have a 93 b250 5.2l 318. Upon buying it last year, I had some fuel problems originally thought to be the fuel pump but turned out to be the auto shutdown relay. While trouble shooting that, I replaced the fuel filter, emptied and cleaned the tank, ran B12 additive which helped and for a few months all went well. Later a problem developed after running the vehicle 20 miles or more, never less than 20 miles when applying gas it would bog down, cough and sputter. Slow acceleration was still possible but degraded rapidly until the vehicle was allowed to cool down. Main culprit was thought to be the catalytic converter which was definitely bad and I've removed it. Now the lack of acceleration and bogging down occurs much sooner than the 20 mile+ of before. The speed sensor has a slight leak but is not as far as I can tell leaking onto the O2 sensor. Yesterday I got an CEL code for EGR failure which went away after restarting and I think more related to low speed and idling performance. The fuel pump may well be bad as it is quite audible but seems to work well enough. The problem only happens when warm, when cold she seems ready for anything.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:20 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fuel issues for your Ram Van year ...

89-93 Fuel Pump and Filter Diagnosis and Service
http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1993/14-03-93.htm

92-93 Fuel Pump Module Service
http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1993/14-04-93.htm

91-93 V6, V8 Improved Fuel Pump
http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1993/14-05-93.htm

When was the transmission fluid changed last? It is possible that the fluid heats up and the tranny is bogging down. However, the CAT and O2 raises another question indeed.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:33 PM
pauljr58

thx stev for the reply.
Transmission filter and fluid was changed within the last 100 miles or 1 month. At first I suspected the tranny, but have become more inclined towards a fuel system issue. Only reason I would still suspect the tranny is the speed sensor o-ring leak because I don't know how or if it affects the engine operation. Will check out the links you sent now and hopefully I'll have a Eureka moment.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:44 PM
pauljr58
Talking Solved

Seems I stumped everyone. However, the problem was being caused by a loose crankshaft position sensor. It looks as if someone before me replaced the sensor but didn't bolt it in properly or at all; it had no bolts keeping it in place. Combine that with a trashed catalytic converter and happy times were but a memory. They're back now though, thanks all.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:45 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool! This bit of info can help others to track down the same problem in the future. Thanks for replying back with the solution.

80% of the time, we get no response to the final solutions and it makes life hard on the next poor chap with the same issue.

Quick Reply: 93 b250 lack of acceleration when hot