Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

a few questions on the p0505 :)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 03:20 AM
tombomb661
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a few questions on the p0505 :)

hey guys!

this is my first post on this site and yeah!

my buddy just recently bought a 2000 ram 2500 with a 5.2L 318 with around 160,000 miles for his band to go on tour with. they are leaving in a few weeks and ive got to try and get this light off and past smog check as i live in california.

so here we go, it has a p0505 code so i instinctively replaced the IAC motor.

did not solve the issue haha

so i started scouring the internet and people are saying that it could be the wiring or even the pcm.

so a few questions,

1. where is the computer on these vans? i havent spent a whole lot of time on these

2. i pulled the plug on the iac motor and tested the voltage. all four have alternating voltage, cycling between 13 and 0... in my infinite stupidity, i forgot to test the wires when plugged into the IAC. (i live 30 miles away from the van)

and

3. i read that emissions codes can in no way be deleted unless it is with a reader, is this true?

i apologize for the long story here but i really need to get this thing going and i appreciate any and all advice

thanks so much guys

Old 06-11-2012, 03:29 AM
tombomb661
Amateur

also, there seems to be something wrong with the interior lighting. the **** for the lights has a click, the adjustment for dimness and another click. the click all the way to the right has nothing, but turning it to the left for the dimness turns on the gauge lights AND interior lights. are these switches prone to go bad or something? i hope you guys understand what i mean haha

Old 06-11-2012, 09:46 PM
BilltheDrummer94
Rookie

Originally Posted by tombomb661
also, there seems to be something wrong with the interior lighting. the **** for the lights has a click, the adjustment for dimness and another click. the click all the way to the right has nothing, but turning it to the left for the dimness turns on the gauge lights AND interior lights. are these switches prone to go bad or something? i hope you guys understand what i mean haha
As for the code, I'm not sure. The **** to the left of the steering wheel controls all of the lights with the exception of the brights. If you pull the **** one click toward you, the parking lights come on. If you pull it two clicks out it turns on the headlights. Once you have pulled the **** out towards you, the guage lights should illuminate. Turning the switch past the click to the left turns on all the interior lights. If you turn it to the right it dims the guage lights. Going past the click to the right simply turns the gauge lights all the way off. The headlights and parking lights should still be illuminated when in this position providing the **** is still pulled all the way out.

Hope this helps,
Bill

Old 06-11-2012, 10:55 PM
tombomb661
Amateur

thank you sir!

whats happening is during the brightness adjustment turn, is the interior lights turn on when they shouldnt!

Old 06-12-2012, 04:26 PM
blackvan
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All the way to the left, **** clicks, then all your interior lights will turn on. All the way to the right, **** clicks and this disables the "opening-any-door-turns-on-interior-lights" function. If you have no gauge lighting at all until you turn all the way to left, the rheostat portion of your light switch probably burned up. Usually this part can't be fixed so it requires replacing the entire light switch.

Last edited by blackvan; 06-12-2012 at 04:31 PM.

Quick Reply: a few questions on the p0505 :)