Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

1996 B2500 V6 - Crank Sensor R/R...Reprogram?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 07:35 PM
RainmanNC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 B2500 V6 - Crank Sensor R/R...Reprogram?

Replaced the crank sensor and the pick up coil recently. 5 miles down the road the CEL comes on, eventually the vehicle starts shutting down, with restart a few minutes later. I'm guessing ASD was triggered.

To make a long story short, I ended up buying a scanner (Actron CP9575) and was getting P1392 - camshaft sensor blah blah, and various misfire codes. Decided maybe a new brass cap and rotor would help, as the old one was a bit worn, and aluminum. Still throwing codes. I finally decided to put the old crank sensor and pick up coil back in, one at a time.

Install of old crank sensor eliminated misfire codes, and re-install of old pick up coil eliminated P1392. Took the new parts back to store, and they gladly provided a refund, but also told me that usually the vehicle needs "reprogrammed" after the installation of these new replacement parts.

Out of the gazillion threads I've been through on here, I do not remember reading that. So, is this true? Is a reprogramming necessary after installing a new crank sensor, and/or pick up coil?

Old 05-06-2013, 08:42 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by RainmanNC
they gladly provided a refund, but also told me that usually the vehicle needs "reprogrammed" after the installation of these new replacement parts.
Bullsh(cough)t

Old 05-06-2013, 08:58 PM
RainmanNC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol - thank you.
i had read on another thread about aftermarket parts such as these not quite being up to snuff, so i had a feeling i was being fed a line.
thanks again.

Quick Reply: 1996 B2500 V6 - Crank Sensor R/R...Reprogram?