Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Unmarked Fuse Blows, Van Quits

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 01:25 PM
gygax
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unmarked Fuse Blows, Van Quits

I have a 98 Dodge B2500 Ran Van w/318CID engine. When I "push" the engine (downshifts to maintain speed uphill on freeway with cruise control engaged, punching it to pass another car on road, etc) an unmarked fuse in the power distribution box under the hood (see attached picture) blows and the van engine quits. No stutter or chugging, it just quits. When in this condition, it will crank freely, but not start. Replace this fuse, and the van starts easily. But I don't know what this fuse is or what it controls. It is not marked on the power distribution box diagram (shown in photo) and I don't see anything written in the owners manual. Any help to determine what this fuse is and why it's blowing would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails Unmarked Fuse Blows, Van Quits-van-fuse-box-small.jpg  
Old 07-16-2014, 01:57 PM
02 Ram Van 1500
Amateur

By any chance, does the odometer reading change from the miles to the words "no bus"?
I am having an issue with the "no bus" and the 2002 Dodge Van not starting. It just cranks. I will look at this fuse and get back.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:42 PM
02 Ram Van 1500
Amateur
Default Don't have that fuse under the hood

I looked under the hood for that fuse block. That fuse with the yellow holder that you pointed out does not exist on my newer vehicle. In that location, I have 2- 20A fuses. Inside the cover of that box tells what the fuses are for. There is a similar yellow fuse holder located on the left side of my dash board. The label on mine says "Interior lights, power mirrors, cluster (IOD). Sorry I couldn't help you.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:39 PM
gygax

I don't think I have ever seen the words "no bus" on the odometer. Just an ever increasing (247,000+ miles and counting) mile count.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:34 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That unmarked fuse goes to Pin 16 of the OBD-II data link connector under the steering column. There is a juction S219 on my diagram but I am unable to find what it connects up to. This may feed the PCM back up memory, but I don't know for sure.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:25 PM
gygax

That is a very interesting observation and I will check to see if Pin16 on the OBDII connector goes to one side or the other of the unmarked fuse on my van. What puzzles me is how/why that connection would cause my van to shut down. If that fuse was connected to OBDII Pin16, it would necessarily be open (there's no connector on the OBDII port), so why would it (1) blow the fuse or (2) make any difference. Just thinking aloud.

Quick Reply: Unmarked Fuse Blows, Van Quits