Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

2001 Ram 3500 Van Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 06:52 PM
stan264
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Ram 3500 Van Headlights

Does anyone know of European Style aftermarket head lights that will work on my 2001 3500 Van ? I put LED's in the old lights, but I don't think they are as bright as the old ones, only when you stand directly in front of them, they are white,The lens is clear as a bell, but the light only shines about 75 feet if that far ! Does anyone have any info on upgrading these lights, I guess a VAN is different that a 3500 Truck, Someone told me the old style reflectors in the old lights will not work with LED's, I would like to improve my lights for nighttime driving ! Any Suggestions ?

Old 05-06-2015, 10:42 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no way a LED bulb can properly use a halogen reflector and lens optics and produce a good beam which does not blind oncoming drivers with excessive glare. Same for HID bulbs inside halogen housings.

I hope there is a special place in hell for people who insist on these illegal unsafe obnoxious lights used on road.

The best way to increase forward lighting is by making sure battery charging voltages make it to the headlamp bulbs. this can be achieved by upgrading the lighting wiring harness with the use of relays and fatter wire to get 14.4v to the bulbs.

When the harness is upgraded then slightly higher wattage bulbs can be used, but higher wattage bulbs on the original wiring will cause issues.

Phillips extreme or Osram bulbs have very precise filament placement with highjer luminence for more forward lighting. Long life bulbs are the opposite.

A Phillips extreme +50 bulb, getting 14.4v is the only legal and safe and effective option.

Do some reading here:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html

Old 05-17-2015, 05:16 AM
blackvan
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While not HID or LED, I've been happy with my Phillips crystal vision ultras. However in heavy rain these headlights are too high off the ground for me to see faded road markings. I added these about two years back and they have saved my life several times. I have them aimed pretty low and thus far I have never been stopped for using them on the highway.

http://amzn.com/B000BNZ45W

Quick Reply: 2001 Ram 3500 Van Headlights