Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Harmonic balancer/dampener

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 12:11 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Harmonic balancer/dampener

I'm still looking this one up and planning but thought I'd shoot you guys a question on it. My balancer is definitely got a wobble the rubber seal is pushed out one edge and pushed in on the opposite, visibly not aligned with the outer.
quick question is will the fan and shroud be in the way for using a puller or can it be done without too much trouble leaving them in place?
Thanks for any insight

Old 10-06-2015, 10:41 PM
blackvan
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last edited by blackvan; 07-31-2016 at 04:10 AM. Reason: removed by me
Old 10-07-2015, 07:31 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having a good look at it again today I see your point Blackvan, easiest way is getting everything out of the way first but dang I didn't want to drain that radiator again for just that just yet. Had planned to do my plenum pretty soon and re-thinking now that I better invest and just go ahead and replace the water pump n timing set too so while it's all apart and may as well do this too and be done with it.

Now, looking at the HB on rockauto, they had 2 to choose from... a Dayco and a Dorman both being one solid pulley/balancer. Mine has the pulley n 6 bolts bolts mounted to the balancer. Also talked to a guy at o'reillys and he pulled up the same so I assume the replacements are now the one single unit.
I have a puller for the old but will I need the install tool to press on the new one? Or will this new one slide on enough that the bolt is enough to seat the HB on? Seems to be a lot of mixed opinions on that from what I've read the the 2nd gen trucks section so thought I'd ask you guys for a suggestion. Other than that I'll keep looking to see what I can find out

Quick Reply: Harmonic balancer/dampener