Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

'94 Dodge Ram 250 Coolant and Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 08:06 PM
kecilaw
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '94 Dodge Ram 250 Coolant and Starting Problems

Hey all,

I'm new to owning a Dodge van and to car maintenance in general, so I'm wondering if you guys could provide me some guidance. I recently bought a 1994 Ram 250 van, and it's having some big problems. After being left overnight on the street in cooler weather, I had trouble starting it up. It seemed like the engine was flooding, so I started it while hitting the gas pedal and it started up okay. I then drove it down the street to park it in a new spot, a very short distance. The next day, I started it, only to have it die when I shifted into drive or, weirdly enough, when I turned the headlights on. Now, it won't start at all, it just keeps turning over. The lights come on, and it seems like it's trying to start, but it won't catch. While trying to start it, the check engine light came on and the oil temperature spiked. I checked the fluids and noticed that the oil was good, but the coolant was empty. I'm worried that I might have driven it down the street with no coolant (although I didn't notice a temperature increase then). I'm taking it in to a mechanic, obviously, but is there a chance I ruined the engine by driving it a few hundred yards with no coolant? And what could cause it to turn off when shifting gears or turning on the lights? Thanks, I'm in over my head here and any help is really appreciated.

Old 09-11-2016, 11:07 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

If the radiator was full and only the overflow bottle was empty then there is nothing to worry about. The hard starting after sitting overnight 90% of the time is a failing fuel pump or PCM.

Old 09-11-2016, 02:48 PM
SteveR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the stalling could indicate the van requires a tune-up (spark plugs, air filter, distributor cap, wires). My van has 200,000 km on it with a fresh air filter but in need of new spark plugs and it will stall when I shift into gear some times.

I would determine where the coolant is leaking from first. The fact that you ran the engine for a brief period is probably not a big deal but do figure that out and fill up the radiator. I am assuming that you probably have some coolant in there, not 100% empty.

Steve

Quick Reply: '94 Dodge Ram 250 Coolant and Starting Problems