Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

2003 B3500 Cargo/Class B drive line noise?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 11:32 PM
pjw73nh
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2003 B3500 Cargo/Class B drive line noise?

Ok, Second post on this vehicle. Just purchased it, so I have no history with it other then the 250 mile ride home.

Has been sitting for several years. Runs beautifully from an engine perspective.

Symptoms. Rear end/driveline noise.

Just bought the veh. Drove it home (250 miles). Runs well, shifts well, engine gauges and performance is solid.

Seems to be a bit rough from the rear end/drive shaft perspective. Drove it on the highway for about 30 miles. Pulled over for a rest stop, Had to back out, and then forward into a sharp turn at parking lot speed. Left I think. I heard a hollow grinding noise/felt a grinding vibration from the rear axles/differential. Same when turning right at same speed in the parking lot. Subsides when straightening out.

At highway speeds (60) it does well, but it seems to me like there is excessive vibration and noise coming from the rear of the vehicle. Hard to tell because I've never driven the vehicle before.

I do notice that when tracking straight at highway speed the noise is not too bad, vibration is moderate. I would describe the vibration as if I was running VERY knobby tires. I am running Michelin LTX. Brand new.

When taking an off ramp at 35-45, there is a much more pronounced vibration, until I straighten out. Then it subsides a bit, but is still there. IE when turning, the noise and vibration are a bit more prevalent. Does not appear to be bearing noise. I am VERY familiar with bearing noise.

Where the vehicle sat for a long time, I am thinking U-joints may be tight/frozen (only from the straight tracking view), I've had this happen in another vehicle before. But from a turning perspective, I think I am looking at a differential issue. But at 18000 miles?

I suspect I am going to have to open the diff cover, for a visual inspection and at the same time, if nothing appears damaged, just refill with the proper gear oil and additive if necessary.

The sticker under the hood says I have a Lockable torque converter, a 4sp automatic, a Dana M60/24 "Anti-Spin" differential. See attached.

I would love some input on this.

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails 2003 B3500 Cargo/Class B drive line noise?-img_6795.jpg  

Last edited by pjw73nh; 05-02-2017 at 03:36 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:20 PM
iodj44
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have experienced gear whine while driving and clunking sounds when moving from park into gear. After checking fluid level and play in the axles shafts everything has always been to spec but the rear end still whined, that being said have I never had a rear axle fail on any of my vans.

Now you have mentioned a grinding sound that is not normal, if you have a posi (Sure Grip) rear end you would normally hear scrubbing sounds of the inside wheel when turning tight corners. Should your axle be whining loudly and grinding like gears not meshing properly definitely investigate.

Last edited by iodj44; 02-13-2017 at 02:29 AM.