Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Newb looking to buy

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 03:18 PM
Kaptainriktastik
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb looking to buy

Hey Guys, looking at buying a 2000 B1500 to use to haul a tiny popup camper. I guess it's a conversion- captains chairs front, mid, and back (fold down to bed) with all the lights above and tv/vcr in the roof. I have a couple of questions about the AC and a motor issue.

1. When touching the gas, it has kind of a miss, but almost an imbalance that smooths out as soon as the revs come up. maybe it's a just a tune up in waiting? 318/5.2 motor. This would be my first fullsize van- I'm assuming it's a throttle body injection, which would typically mean a miss is spark related, yes? I'm old school and I don't think my race/carbed 360 based 415 will fit underhood,lol.

2. A/C. I saw the compressor cycle, so it's got SOME gas in the system- but it didn't blow "cold". I noticed the components by the right front radiator core support (receiver/dryer?) are oily as heck- super easy to reach/replace- but I also know from my town and country minivan that rear AC systems are a PIA- I forgot to look, but would this conversion van have a separate AC system- I'm guessing another evaporator in the back hidden somewhere but running off the same compressor like the minivans? my T&C is notorious for bi-metallic electrolysis, leaving the core shot/blocked off (like mine). Are these AC systems easy to work on?

It also needs a tensioner (no problem)
Tires decent-maybe a touch of tapered wear up front- are these known for having a crummy front suspension/bushing/alignment issues?

He wants $3300.

Thanks in advance. -rick

Old 02-09-2017, 07:00 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

1. Without seeing it my best guess would be the plenum plate under the intake manifold is leaking vacuum. BTW, a 2000 has MPFI not TBI, so yes the misfire could be fuel injector relate.

2. Yes there are 2 evaporators and they share one compressor. The compressor should not cycle, once it is on it should stay on, if it's not then it is likely low on refrigerant. The oily spots make me think there are microscopic leaks over there.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:53 AM
Kaptainriktastik

Thanks for the info Alloro! Never worked on a van before, but V8 rear drive platforms are usually pretty similar. i'll have to research the plenum plate issue and give it full tune up if I buy it. The AC component being all oily (and the missing fill cap) definitely point to someone crutching it. Was hoping it didn't have rear AC like minivans have. As long as there are no known deficiencies with the front suspension/bushings/alignments, i'll probably pick it up.-
-rick.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:56 AM
Kaptainriktastik

I'm surprised to hear it's MPFI since it looked a lot like TBI when I tried to looke back there (too cluttered to see any injectors on the intake ports)
-rick.

Old 02-10-2017, 11:35 AM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think $3300 is about $3000 too much for an 18 year old van, no matter how nice it is... chances are there are other issues yet to be seen.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:53 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaptainriktastik
I'm surprised to hear it's MPFI since it looked a lot like TBI
Then maybe it's not really a 2000.

Old 02-11-2017, 12:41 PM
iodj44
Veteran

These vans have been out of production for some time right? So I this one has little or no corrosion (you must put it on a lift to check) and in exceptional shape it is a supply demand issue and the seller may know this.

If the van is average condition $3300 seems on the upper end of pricing but if you like what you see maybe take a chance it is not a huge amount of money.

Should you pull the trigger best of luck and I think you will love the van like many of us on the forum.