Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Source for fuel pump sender for 1988 B150?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 02:14 AM
oheare
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Source for fuel pump sender for 1988 B150?

The title says most of it; I've got a 1988 van, and am looking for the sender for the fuel tank. All the usual suspects come up dry, everybody saying it's no longer available. (Somebody called Truck Parts Company in Baldwin Park, CA claims to have one, I've emailed them for confirmation. No word on if it's new, used, or what.)

Now, I'm not the mechanic here; my arthritis won't allow most of this stuff. But I have more time than my mechanic does, so I'm doing the looking. Does anyone have a line on a possible source? My Google skills are usually pretty good, but have really come up dry.

Failing that, are there any workarounds? I'm not entirely clear on how the fuel pump system works on this van, and the idea of a two-part fuel pump strikes me as kind of strange. I'd figured on a fuel *gauge* sender, and then a fuel pump, but this seems rather different.

Is there maybe an online source for information on how this works? I hate to come across as dumb, but in this case I am...

Many thanks, folks.

Dave

Old 03-25-2017, 10:06 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Most are combined as one unit and you cant get separate parts for them(sender). Plus Chrysler used more than one supplier. If you want to drop the tank and possibly try to remove the sender and replace it with a used one it could be done depending on how it's made. The sender is part of the outer housing if i recall. If it's the original pump it's about time to replace the assembly anyway.

Old 03-25-2017, 10:51 AM
oheare
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Moparite, but on this vehicle (I *think* it's only the 88-91 models) they are separate, and I've already got a used one -- it's on the van. I'm looking for a new one.