Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

OIL CHANGED TO SYNTHETIC???????

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 11:14 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: OIL CHANGED TO SYNTHETIC???????

one thing I found interesting with the last job I had, I operated a Freightliner. Took it in to have some services done on it and found out it had synthetics, all the guys did was yank the filter off, put oil in the filter, then check to make sure the case was toped off and sent me out the door.

at the time I knew that conventional oils broke down after time, but I didnt know much about synthetics at the time. I can say, if all the people do is change the filter and top it off, then synthetics must not break down as easily as conventionals.

but I guess it's all good since I can go 15,000 before my first oil change on my cummins

Old 09-03-2004, 03:05 PM
Silverquad02
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This subject is a touchy subject....kinda like religion or politics....

That being said....best thing you can do is have your oil analyzed. I just switch from synthetic to convential Castrol GTX due to analysis results I've seen and experienced. Your environment, and driving habits can make one oil work better than another...I was running 5w-30 synth in my Ram 4.7L and because I drive short distances to work...2 miles, I killed the synthetic oil's viscosity at 3500 miles...my oil was evaluated as 20w-30. All the other properties were pretty good. Then again, maybe my oil was just that bad....Valvoline Synpower.

Additives make a big difference in oil life and engine wear along with a good oil filter.

Old 09-03-2004, 11:45 PM
BULLDOG
Rookie

Hello there....

This is a touchy subject, but facts are still facts. Touchy: because you still will here from individuals that have had wonderful experiences on "used" oil. I'm one of the few that you will ever talk to or see write on actual facts! In addition I have 0/zero interest in any company! I learned for the world of hard knocks!
Synthetic oil , compared to conventional in this situation is by far superior.
I agree having oil analyzed (looked at close) true analyzing and documentation is $3000.00+ . Not worth the time.
I need to address "Silverquad02" I have yet to see beyond a reasonable doubt the benefits of conventional oil, in comparison to conventional oil. In addition to; someone resorting back to the conventional lubricant due to benefits beyond synthetic is absolutely absurd.
In closing this had been heavily covered, and I think YOU (Silverquad02) are making the attempt out of total ignorance to change the opinion, and or FACTS that contribute to this topic.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 09-03-2004, 11:55 PM
ramfan5.9
Hall Of Fame

so wut do u guys do w/ ur used oil after you change it out

Old 09-04-2004, 12:24 AM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Using syn oil during the break-in was a no-no in the old days, but today's engines are made to closer specs and don't need the "grinding down" that dino oil allows. Many high performance cars come with syn oil direct from the factory, including the Dodge Viper and SRT-4. The owner's manual on my SRT recommends only syn oil....no dino oil for a "break-in"....and the service techs at my dealership concur.

With a larger, understressed engine, you can probably get by with dino oil....but hot rods like the SRT-4 and the Viper need the best!

BTW, synthetic oil is used in every military jet and commercial jet in the world. It's also used in all spacecraft. Dino oils can't handle the extreme temps. and break down too fast to make them cost effective.....

Old 09-04-2004, 02:39 AM
AndrewH
Rookie

I don't take the chance of letting a dino oil break down here in Texas. Only syn for me after helping buddy of mind change out his intake on a 99 dakota with 120,000. he only used syn the entire time and the top of the engine was perfect. made a believer outta me.

Old 09-07-2004, 04:08 PM
Silverquad02

Everyones oil needs are different....Like Dusty states, the road rockets need synth. My Ram which travels 2 miles to work....Synth offers no benefit. So instead of me pissing my money away on synth oil, I buy Castrol which has moly as an additive (startup wear protection) and use the money I save to pimp my ride! I am eyeballing a billet grill. So if I save say $25 an oil change...I can get a new billet grill in a year! Whoohoo!

JMHO.

Old 09-09-2004, 07:25 PM
texas dodge

I changed my truck over at 23,000 miles to Mobil 1 syn and I can tell the truck runs much quieter not to mention much cooler too.

Old 09-09-2004, 08:19 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Yeah, the reduced friction helps to keep the temp down. That's a "biggie" on a turbo and helpful on all engines.

Old 09-09-2004, 08:52 PM
Beastmaker
Rookie

Used synthetic oil in my 1st new car (89 nissan sentra) sold that with 133K miles, then in the next one (92 Saturn) still got that but had to change the engine out (due to timing chain busting) original engine had 237K on it with around 85K of those were at european speeds (104mph) on it, then in my 98 Dakota which was traded in with 139K, and running Mobil 1 in the current vehicles (both have low low mileage right now) Costs some, but I've reaped the benefits.

Quick Reply: OIL CHANGED TO SYNTHETIC???????