Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2001 Stratus R/T - Second Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 10:13 AM
drchance
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Stratus R/T - Second Fuel Pump

Geez ... what a nightmare. I have a 2001 Stratus R/T that at one point I thought had a fuel pump problem so I replaced it. The problem turned out to be something else but it was okay ... a new pump wasn't a bad thing. After a few weeks the car started doing this thing where it had to turn over several times before it started. I thought the fuel pump wasn't keeping pressure in the line ... so I returned the pump (SpectraPremium) for a replacement and everything started running fine again. And now, after a few weeks, something different. The car will hesitate when accelerating at different times ... it's pretty chaotic ... but mostly when the tach is around 2k ... it hesitates then surges then hesitates (bogs down) ... never getting above 30 or 40 mph. And it throws a P0174 code. I'm going to check my MAF as some have suggested but could it possibly be this fuel pump again?

I've put a lot of work into this car over the last year but I've never had a problem with fuel delivery.

Thanks for any suggestions ...

Old 01-08-2015, 11:16 PM
drchance
Default 2001 Stratus R/T - Still think it may be the fuel pump

I was able to check the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor today and it looks fine. This guy has a nice tutorial (http://easyautodiagnostics.com/mitsu...sensor-tests-1) on how to test the MAF. Anyway ... I found a ground strap from the firewall to the engine block was disconnected (oops) so I'll reattach that tomorrow and see if it makes any difference. The thing that keeps bugging me is that the Stratus will run fine in the driveway ... you can rev it up as much as you want and it runs very smooth ... but the minute you start driving it after 1 gear it starts to buck and hesitate. Weird.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:08 AM
Tmarx888
Default Fuel issue with the R/T Stratus.

I have to agree...its a nitemare and I'm seriously getting pizzed off bad. It sounds like a fuel filter maybe clogged or injectors. I wish I could just get mine to start but its like getn a act of congress to get that to happen.

Quick Reply: 2001 Stratus R/T - Second Fuel Pump