Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Aftermarket Speakers, Stock Amp

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 11:13 PM
tjacoby2006
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Speakers, Stock Amp

Hi all, clearly still new around here so please bare with me as I am still trying to learn about cars/my car (I am more of a geek than anything, so I still have that willing-to-learn attitude ).

I have a new head unit on the way, and for my next project I am researching replacing my speakers. My understanding is that the rear speakers are not a high priority because they primarily serve the purpose of filling in the sound as opposed to the front speakers which really give you the detail. So, to start I would like to think about replacing my front speakers.

I have a 2003 Stratus R/T with the 7 speaker Inifnity system. My questions are:
- Can I use aftermarket speakers with the stock amp?
- If so, at what cost to sound QUALITY (loudness is NOT necessarily high on my priority list, more a balanced output)
- Do I need to find special speakers? My understanding is that the stock speakers are 2 Ohms while most speakers are 4 Ohms. Is this correct? If so, what exactly will that mean?
- I have components in the doors (tweeters up high, drivers down low). My understanding is that the amp has a built-in crossover. Is that correct?
- Any recommendations on what to put in? I am not looking for anything close to "top of the line", just something that will give a noticeable improvement on what I have (I like to think of my self as a "very budget-minded audiophile").
- Last, can I use the wiring already there? I assume I can... but, we all know what happens when you assume

So, I appreciate any help people can give me. I have tried to research these answers, but I start to get lost in the info so much that I need to just ask directly to ensure I am looking at/for the right things. I am definitely not an idiot, I just need to build that initial base knowledge.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:54 AM
tjacoby2006
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After doing a bit more research, I have a few options (assuming I only replace my front speakers).
Buy some components and either
  • a) power them off the stock amp, being mindful that the amp has a built-in crossover (may cause some volume issues with the 4 vs 2ohm issue);
  • b) bypass the stock amp for the front channels and power the components directly off the HU and use the included crossovers (would lose front center channel, but who cares its blown anyway);
  • c) buy a separate amp to power them (prefer not to do this until I potentially decide to replace the rear speakers as well)

As of right now I am leaning toward option b as a good compromise (at least for the time being). I will just need to be mindful of the lower power output when selecting speakers, I suppose.

Still looking for advice, of course!

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Speakers, Stock Amp