Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Stratus R/T rear tow hook DIY

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 05:02 PM
alpinedog68
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stratus R/T rear tow hook DIY

I survived the first winter with my 2004 Stratus with out the need for tow hooks. The lack of them on my car (and all of the other coupes I see while traveling) is always a concern when winter hits. I looked at a few dead cars in the salvage yard, but the rear tow hooks are located on the drivers side, and my tow hook needed to be placed on the passenger side. I wasn't convinced that the measurements would work on my car either. This winter, rather than heading to the salvage yard again to see if I could retro fit an existing tow hook, I figured I would build one myself...I needed an excuse to use my new welder. If it didn't work, then I would head to the junk yard again. This is my first post, so bear with me on the pictures. I tried to narrate a bit with each photo.

I started by removing the two main frame bolts on the rear underside, passenger side and measuring the 2 x 2 angle iron for the holes (5 1/4 inch long, holes are 3 1/4 on center). I then determined the position of the U bolt (5 1/2 inch drop) and took it to the bench for a spot weld. After making sure the U bolt was positioned where I wanted, I finished the weld. I got a little nervous and decided to add a cross member using an existing hole in the frame as my attachment point. After clamping in place, I took it to the bench, welded it in place and cut off the excess metal. I finished it with a coat of paint and bolted it in place using 1/4 inch longer bolts (hardest bolts I could get from the bolt store) than the original frame bolts. I had to use a few flat washers as spacers between the cross bar and the frame to keep everything lined up. Side note, the cross member should also serve to keep the tow rope from riding up the U bolt and damaging the bumper.

I hope this post can help a few others in need of a place to hook a tow rope. Now I hope to never have to use it.

EDIT: Sorry for the missing pics. It seems I am limited on the number / size. I moved the pics to this thread to my album. Check them out for more info.

Last edited by alpinedog68; 02-08-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:57 PM
pearl01stratcpe
All Star
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Cleanly done and nice write up.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:43 PM
alpinedog68
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Missing pics?

If the pics seem to be missing, check them out in my album. Seem to be limited in number / size of pics so I had to move them for another thread.

Quick Reply: Stratus R/T rear tow hook DIY