Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Stratus woes

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 03:16 PM
garridodp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Stratus woes

Hello.

My first thread, so I am getting frustrated and I am really wanting some help to figure my current problems. There are two.

Vitals: 2003 Dodge Stratus R/T, auto, coupe, 150,000 miles, CAI, Cat-back.

Thing One:
I had a radiator leak. Replaced the radiator. After that, my idle was so low that turning on the A/C killed the car. I even had to peddle the throttle, especially at stops or slowing to keep the engine running. Cleaned out the MAF, the IAC, throttle body. No change. Had to band-aid the idle by backing out the air-bypass-screw. This seems to work. Apparently my ECU is "learning" how to idle all over again. Yes, I disconnected the battery completely. The question I have is does this still need to be looked at and fixed, or is it fine.

Thing Two:
After doing the above, I had the BRAKE and BATT light both come on at the same time and never go out. I've done the electrical checks on the battery/good, and the alternator/good.
Some forums I have visited say that this is an indication of a bad alternator. Once again, the alternator charges the battery and carries all my car loads with no noticeable problems. What should I do next?

If any of you have any solid experience with any of these problems, let me know. If you need any additional info, please ask.

Thanks.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:14 PM
BillS
Captain

did both happen immediately after you replaced radiator and when you disconnected battery? if so i would check to make sure you didn't forget to hook something back up or knocked something loose not sure if coupes are same .on sedans the cruise vacuum canister is by radiator could have knocked vacuum hose loose ,battery i would check connections especially the ground going to frame,both lights usually means bad alternator

Old 10-15-2014, 05:58 PM
garridodp

BillS,

I had the leak. Changed out the radiator a week or so later. I already checked hoses and connections. The bad idle happened after I changed out the radiator. Like a day or so. I went through several days of trouble-shooting the idle and then one day I was driving home and saw the light flash on and off. I cycled the A/C and other electrical load. Each time I would turn something on, the lights would come on, and then they would go out when I secured the load. Then one day I came out to start my car and the lights came on and have never went out. I guess the next step is to get the alternator out and tested, even though all indications say the battery and the alternator are doing their thing. Thanks for the response.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:27 AM
pearl01stratcpe
All Star
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You are correct in that the low idle is due to disconnecting the battery. I recently did this and it happened. It will eventually go away.

As for the battery and brake lights, thats definitely alternator or battery related. I believe Advance Auto can test both for free, while still installed in the car.

Old 10-16-2014, 12:27 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pearl01stratcpe
You are correct in that the low idle is due to disconnecting the battery. I recently did this and it happened. It will eventually go away.

As for the battery and brake lights, thats definitely alternator or battery related. I believe Advance Auto can test both for free, while still installed in the car.
And remember just because it tests good, doesn't mean it is. Had this happen on one of my cars, tested the alternator, tested good, tested everything else, came back to alternator. Changed it and solved all my issues.

Quick Reply: Stratus woes