Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

1999 stratus abs bleeding problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 06:14 PM
john_2216
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1999 stratus abs bleeding problem

I just bought this car and both rear brake lines were rusted and leaking. This car has abs brakes and rear disk brakes. I put 2 new brake lines on from the abs unit to the rear of the car, but I am not sure that I hooked them up to the right port. One was larger than the other. Does anyone know which rear wheel goes to which port on the abs unit?

I tried to bleed the brakes, but I'm sure that the abs has air in it also since it has been sitting for a few years like this. The pedal feels spongy. I read where I need to get a drb scan tool to bleed the abs brakes. I am looking to buy a scan tool, preferably one that just does abs brakes, since I already have one for the engine. Any ideas on a decent drb scan tool that doesn't cost an arm and a leg that will do the abs bleeding?
Thanks for you time,

Old 12-16-2014, 05:20 PM
john_2216
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fyi, I jacked all four wheels off the ground, put it in gear with the brake pedal depressed, then I loosened the left rear bleeder valve and the left front tire started turning. So I swapped the rear lines from one side to the other and checked again. With the left rear bleeder valve open, the right front tire was turning. I think this is the way it is supposed to work.

I still have the abs light on though, looking for ideas to cure this.

Quick Reply: 1999 stratus abs bleeding problem