Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Car wont go over 35mph without going over 3000rpms

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 09:38 AM
miken1c389
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car wont go over 35mph without going over 3000rpms

So I know a little about cars my knowledge is not great. I was on my way to work this morning and my car revved up like it was in neutral then an engine light came on. I was mid turn when it happened. It wouldn't go past 35 maybe 40mph tops without going over 3000rps, so I turned around got home and took my other car into work. Anyone know what the problem can be? I read its possible that the engine code through it into "limp" mode but what could the underlying problem be? Transmission fluid filter? Transmission fluid? Solenoid? Any information is great and thank you in advance. BTW I am not sure if it would go over 35-40mps at all, I didn't want to push it over 3000rpms in the cold weather. Also for the last few days to a week now the car has had a problem mid turn where it would suddenly have no forward go and would sound like it was in neutral when I hit the gas, then jut forward and move. Often happened mid turns.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:50 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

It is in limp mode. You need to get the code read from the check engine light to give you an idea of whats going on. Any auto parts store will read the code for free if you do not have access to a code reader. Without knowing the code, only guesses can be provided as to what the cause might be.