Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Strange knocking sound

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 10:17 AM
turtlejuggalo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange knocking sound

*****update***** the check engine light has come on so I went and had it read. It came back as a crankshaft sensor and camshaft sensor misfire. Which is weird because I didn't think my car had a camshaft sensor *******

Hello all

I have a 2004 coupe RT 3.0 Stick shift Stratus. When I started my car this morning I heard a strange knocking kind of sound. I thought it might just be cold, so I let the engine warm up and drove to work. I noticed as I pressed on the gas the sound would get louder and faster. When I got to work I popped the hood and it sounds like its coming from under the manifold inside the back caseing area. One of my co-workers said it may be a rocker arm. I was just wondering if this is an easy enough fix and if it could cause that weird knocking sound to increase as I press the gas? Just want to get some input before I tear half the engine apart.

Thanks

Stephen

Last edited by turtlejuggalo; 03-16-2017 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:50 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

Have you checked the oil level?

Old 03-16-2017, 10:05 AM
turtlejuggalo

Yes I have checked the oil level. It is perfect and still brand new oil. Had an oil change less then 100 miles ago.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:07 AM
turtlejuggalo

Honestly it sounds like a go cart when I'm driving now. It is rather annoying but doesn't seem to be messing with performance at all