General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Engine issue - please help

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 03:02 AM
Clincher
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine issue - please help

At around 50 mph, my truck (97 Ram 1500 v8) shifts into OD and as soon as it does, it loses Horse Power and begins to bog down. If i'm going up hill, it is especially bad. It is as if it were missing or somethings not catching. The RPMs after it shifts into OD are at 1500. I have to go WOT to make it down shift or hit the OD off button. If I don't it takes several minutes to creep up to 55-58 mph and then its ok once again.

What could this be? I've changed the plugs, wires, rotor, distributor and cleaned the fuel injectors. Has anyone else had this problem and what can be done to fix it? This is very aggrevating, especially at heavy traffic times.

Thanks, Lee

Old 10-14-2006, 04:13 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 224 Likes on 209 Posts
Default RE: Engine issue - please help

there are a few posts like yours in the 2nd gen ram forum, you should go have a look to see if there were any suggestions. my 2000 upshifted at 35~40 mph so you should feel lucky yours waits till 50. in 3rd, how does it feel at the lower rpms? strong, weak?

also, welcome to DF...

Old 10-14-2006, 12:43 PM
Clincher
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Engine issue - please help

It is weak at low rpms... but only when in OD. The rest of the gears are fine at low rpms. Someone mentioned that it could be the TPS or a bad TC lock up solenoid. Is the bad TC lock up solenoid an expensive fix? They say a TPS is about $25.

Thanks for the welcome. I bought this truck off my dad 2 months ago and love it... other than the missing link mystery drag between 50 - 55 mph.

Quick Reply: Engine issue - please help